Chapter 3

Days turned to weeks, which turned to moons as I ran, never stopping for more than a night, sure that Claw was going to get me. I no longer called him papa, he was not worthy of that privilege, that responsibility. Any kittypets which saw me squealed in fright, scampering away; I was only 5 moons old, for goodness sake! And I probably looked younger! Why would they be scared of me? Soon I heard of the rumour that was going around again - when I was just a moon old, I almost killed my sister; it had increased to Rose apparently being forever paralysed and being terrified of anycat who looks like me as it spread through the many ears, minds and mouths. Before long, a tiny black cat with a white paw and a terrifying purple collar, studded with teeth and claws, asked me if I would like to join his gang. His voice was squeaky and ice-cold, and his eyes had a malice in which I could very clearly see him holding me down, just as my traitorous sister did. I snarled at him, "No, you'll betray me. Just like my dear treacherous sister," and ran off. He must have been the first to realize that I may have not had attacked first, for the squealing seemed to lessen, but perhaps it was because I was running faster than the tales.