Chapter 1

"Why isn't she awake yet?"

"Relax Claw, she's only a week old."

"Thorn and Rose opened their eyes, why can't she?"

"Why can't you ever be happy with what you have?"

I slowly opened my eyes to the world, it was so big and bright! I looked around in wonder, then my gaze turned to a pretty toroiseshell she-cat with beautiful violet eyes and a handsome striped black tom with striking green eyes.

"Mama? Papa?" I heard Thistle and Rose call them that before.

Mama purred to me. "Here you come, welcome to the world my tiny darling."

Papa sniffed. "Tiny, now THAT'S true about this silly kit. If it was my choice, she would be thrown out to be a kittypet."

Mama growled. "Shut up or get out of my barn."

"I'm sorry, sweetie," papa purred, giving me a dirty look in the corner of his eye, before jumping down the ladder.

Mama purred to me, "Don't worry 'bout him. You need a name, what about Holly?"

Holly! That was the best name ever! I leaped up in excitement, then layed down on Mama's lap, purring with delight. It was even as good as Rose, or Thistle! Hold on, where were they?

"Mama, where are Rose and Thistle?" I cautiously questioned. I didn't know whether Mama would take me to them, even if she told me where they were.

My first lesson: Never doubt Mama.

She gently told me that they were playing near the bottom of the ladder for a while, but they just ate and they are probably at the dung-pile. She was a absolutely right. I thought Mama was magic, but all she really needed was an amazing sense of common sense.

That was my second lesson: Common sense is as good as magic.

Whilst I was learning my Lessons of Life, my brother and sister came back from the dung-pile.

"Hey mama! Is the runt awake yet?" called Thistle. For the next moon, I found out that Thistle looked down on me, papa hated me, Rose was my friend and mama was perfect. At least, that's what my 5 week old self thought.