Chapter one

I'm wandering around the darkening streets of LA looking for the address I was told to go to for my next job. I just got to LA yesterday, moving from London, so I'm not very aware of my surroundings, and that makes me nervous, especially now that the sun is setting. But being nervous, or anxious, is not a new feeling for me. Ever since my mum married my stepdad when I was five I've had anxiety. Somehow it doesn't interfere with my job because for my job I'm not seen and I don't interact with people. I used to be scared on being caught by the cops but that was years ago, when I was just a beginner.

Finally, I find the building I need and walk in, keeping my head down. I pass someone in the hallway and tense up, ready to defend myself if I need to. Thankfully it's just my silly nerves making me jumpy in a new city. I walk up to the front desk taking an internal deep breath reading myself for a conversation. I'm greeted by a cheery lady sitting behind the desk.

"Hello! What came I do for you?" She smiles widely.

"I need to find this room, please." I say quietly with a small forced smile. I slide a business card over the to her and she takes a look.

"You're here to see Mr. Jackson on the top floor. You must be his new secretary." She gives me another big smile.

"No, not secretary," I shake my head slightly, "more buisness partner."

"Oh?" She looks at my black high-waisted jeans and black crop top sweatshirt that says "Panic! at the Disco" in a coral colour. "You look far too....young to be a buisness women."

I just force another smile.

"Well, elevators are down that hall and on your right." I give her a nod in thanks and head to the lift. She gives me questioning look when she thinks I can't see her.

When I get to the top floor there's only one door to a penthouse. I approach the door and knock three times, just like I was told to. The door is opened by a butler looking guy. He leads me to an office that already has two men sitting in it. They both are wearing suits and stand up when I get close to the room.

"Mr. Jackson, you sure this is her, she's so young!" The younger looking man whispers.

"Are you the one they call The Phantom?" The man sitting behind the desk asks. I nod and step into his office. "Please, have a seat. We have a lot to discuss."

I silently sit in the empty chair.

"What is it you need done?" I say confidently and with an air of boredom. Having the facade of "The Phantom" makes it easier for me to talk to strangers, makes me feel like I'm not me. Shy, anxious, boring me.

"There's this guy I've heard of who has a safe in his house with something very valuable in it. Something I want. I need you to get me everything inside that safe." Mr. Jackson hands me a Manila envelope. "That is, if you're really as good as they say."

"Mr. Jackson, this is The Phantom you're talking about. She's a master lock picker and is so quiet on her feet no one ever knows she's lurking in the shadows." The young guy clears his throat and shrugs as nonchalantly as he can, trying to hide the obvious admiration I heard in his voice. "Or so I've been told."

"I'm positive I can rob that safe and be back here well before midnight." I stand up from my seat, ready to leave. "As long as we still agree on the amount."

"Yes, same amount you and Thomas agreed on over the phone." Mr. Jackson rises from his chair and offers his hand to shake. Before I can decline, Thomas frantically stands up.

"Uh, she doesn't shake hands or anything, Mr. Jackson." His eyes are slightly wide and jumping from me to his boss.

"No hand shake? How do you seal a deal, Phantom?" Mr. Jackson narrows his eyes and lowers his hand.