6. A Brighter Future

Jason's point of view:

I sat on my bed slowly taking in all of the rules for 'The Games' and fucking hell there's a lot of them.

To be honest I can't really be bothered with it right now. I was too worked up after the fight with my father. After I got the package containing my map, rule book and my tracker device thingy my dad started yelling at me; he said that "He never allowed me to do this" and that I "Shouldn't go off gallivanting in some stupid game" and that I "Would probably do something stupid and die". I tried to explain that I was either entered against my will or accidentally but he didn't care. He believed that I should follow his strict 'guidelines' and do whatever he says all because I was his only son and I had to carry on the family line and bring honour to the family name and this and this and some other stupid shit.

For occasions such as that he likes to punch me. He was especially angry this time so he wasn't satisfied until he heard the crack of ribs and I had coughed up some blood. Whilst he went off to get himself some water since all that exercise had tired him out I had dragged myself up the stairs, into my bedroom and then locked the door.

Currently I'm standing in front of my mirror examining my stomach. There was a bright red mark and already a bruise was beginning to form. I gently touched it to see how bad it was and JESUS CHRIST that was a bad decision! Just as my fingers brushed against my rib searing pain shot through my body causing my eyes to water.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when I heard a sharp clink coming from the window every few moments. I opened my window and stuck my head out only to be hit by a stone.

"Sorry!" someone whisper-shouted up to me.

"Brooklyn?"

"Yeah. Now get ready to catch my bag."

I stuck my hand out the window and as soon as I felt something touch my hand I closed my fist around it. Withdrawing my hand from the window I peered back out to see Brooklyn sarcastically clapping up at me.

"How are you going to get up?" I asked not bothering to question why she was here. We were too far into our friendship to ask why anymore.

"I'm going up the down pipe," she casually responded as if it was a simple task that everyone could do.

"No please don't, you'll get hurt."

"Jason, do you really believe that I'm so irresponsible that I would do something that could result in me getting injured?" she asked, her arms crossed and her eyebrow cocked.

"Yes, absolutely, without hesitation."

She playfully rolled her eyes and made her way to the down pipe. Carefully she made her way up it and was darting through my open window within a minute. I swear she's part monkey! Once she was safely stood in my bedroom she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a bone-crushing hug which - due to my most likely broken rib - caused me to cry out in pain.

"What's wrong, what happened, are you alright, how much does it hurt," Brooklyn quickly asked, her worrying, motherly tone taking over, "Was it your father?"

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

"He didn't want me in 'The Games' so he punched me in the chest and stomach."

"Take off your shirt and lie down."

"Excuse me?!" I said, confusion and embarrassment riddling my tone.

"I need to check if any of your ribs are cracked."

"And how do you expect to do that?"

"Have you forgotten that my mother is a nurse?" Brooklyn asked me incredulously, "You learn a few things when your mum has a profession like that."

"Alright, if you must."

Slightly embarrassed I unbuttoned and took off my shirt then laid down on my bed. 

"That looks nasty!" she exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down! My father'll hear!"

"Oh right, sorry," she said sheepishly.

Gently, her fingers skimmed over my now black bruise. All of a sudden she pressed down on my rib, hard. This action caused me to gasp out in pain and she jumped back.

"You're lucky," she explained, "you've only fractured it. Considering your father it could've been a lot worse."

"Right, thanks... speaking of my father what are you doing here," I asked whilst re-buttoning my shirt, "You could very easily get caught and who knows what he would do to you."

"I came here to plan out our strategy for the games and you know you could always run away."

"Where would I go? The treehouse doesn't have a shower or proper beds, the sofa is just about large enough to sit on!"

"Well... Riley was thinking of moving out soon with Noora, they've already started looking at apartments. And if Riley moved out..."

"Then you'd have a spare bedroom!" I finished.

"Yep! And my mum already adores you."

"How could she not? I am amazing after all."

Brooklyn rolled her eyes and playfully nudged my shoulder. I reached behind me and grabbed the map and rule book whilst Brooklyn scooted closer to me. She rested her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arm around her. Everything seemed like it was going to be alright; I was about to have a brighter future.

3rd person point of view:

Little did they know that Jason's father was stood outside his son's door listening to their conversation. He clenched his fists and ground his teeth together in hatred of that girl. She was a bad influence and was going to lead his son, his only son, astray from the path of family honour. That girl was going to pay. And with that thought he made his way to the living room window and waited for the girl to leave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello to all of my lovely readers, merry Christmas and a happy New Year (even though it's a bit late)! By the way I do not know how to detect a broken rib I'm just going off of a Bucky Barnes fanfic called 'The Tower' by Emily on quotev that you should definitely go and read. Anyways, byeeeee!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cause I'm with you 'til the end of the line" Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes