Chapter 53

The man's wrinkled face looked like an old brown sheet, creased and dried from too much sun. His bright blue eyes shone with kindness in spite of the fact he'd just pressed a knife blade into Aliah's back.

Aliah grimaced and stopped walking but said nothing even as the old man demanded them to identify themselves.

Shai slung her bag on the ground and crossed her arms. "Is that any way to treat fellow Kentites? I'm Shai Eli. Remiel sent us." Her heart hammered in her throat. She hoped she sounded convincing. Aliah flicked his eyes her way with one brow raised. What is that all about? Is he annoyed?

The man's face wrinkled even more. He dropped the hand that held the knife. His eyes creased in the corners and were swallowed up in the brown folds of skin. It took Shai a moment to realize the changes to his face meant he was smiling. His lips parted in a delayed toothy grin, like his mouth smiled separately from the rest of his face.

He bowed low, sweeping the blade in front of him, dragging it on the ground. Dust spiraled up then settled on the toes of his boots. "Any friend of Remiel's is a friend of ours. Welcome. Let me take you to the Center."

The trio followed the old man down the middle of the street. His plain brown tunic and long cape dragged the ground, marking a trail in the dust. White hair bobbed at the base of his neck in a messy clump that he had tied with a boot-string.

Shai walked beside Aliah who still hadn't said a word. His face had no expression but his eyes darted left and right as though he was looking for something or someone.

Kael walked behind Shai, clearing his throat every few steps. Was it the dust that bothered him or had he developed a nervous habit during the last few seconds?

Someone touched her shoulder. "Shai. Did I hear you say that Remiel sent us? How do you know him?" Kael whispered.

Shai slowed down until Aliah and the old man were several paces in front. "He's... I uh. I've known him for a while. From Lael." How much should she say? Remiel had left when Kael appeared. Did he leave because ofKael or was it a coincidence?

Knowing Kael had travelled for several days just to give her back the key made her feel obligated to be nice to him even if she had to choke back suspicion. She couldn't forget what she had overheard him tell his sister in Conley. But she had to admit she appreciated Kael's sudden appearance for no other reason than she knew it made Aliah uncomfortable. Yet, she hesitated to mention Kael's kiss in front of Aliah. She might still be angry at Aliah but she didn't want to hurt him or provoke his anger toward Kael.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, passing nameless stone buildings with black smoke puffing out their tops until they stopped in front of a squat grey building without windows. Several more dusty roads led to taller, rounder buildings on the left and right. Sunlight slanted across the road, broken by the shadows of the massive rock structures that defined the boundaries of Sector Seven. Everything was a dismal grey, interrupted only by the bright red Kent flames.

"Here we are. The Center." The old man swung his arms wide, still holding the knife and narrowly missing Aliah with it. "Wait here and I will tell Elchai that you are here."

True to its name the Center was in the middle of the Community with all roads leading to it.

Aliah shuffled his feet in the dust, shifting from one foot to the other. Kael suddenly became still and quiet, his green eyes large and round.

Shai crossed her arms in front of her to still the fluttering in her stomach. "You know what's odd about this place?" She asked nobody in particular.