21| The Truthful Lies

Start from the beginning

I sighed, annoyance anointing my tone. "Give me some time. I will reach out to you once I'm done with my work."

Casually, he began tucking his gun back into the chest belt under his blazer. "Fine. I will leave for now. But you know how your Dad feels about broken promises."

I nodded as he ushered his men to step away from Breanna and to walk out of the apartment. Before leaving, he said one last thing. "If you don't reach out soon, we're coming after her. I'll be watching you, kid."

A swift hand wave later, he disappeared outside the door like a ghost; a ghost that just made my life worse than it already was.

For a few seconds, I just breathed the dust-ridden air around me, trying to wrap my mind around what happened and why.

That was until my gaze landed on Breanna, who was shaken to the core, wiping fretful tears.

Steadily, I walked in her direction, until I was standing very close to her.

Through my squinted eyes, I looked down at her clamping her mouth with her hands to stop the whimpers.

Just why does she have to suffer like this?

I held her arms gently and pulled her closer to me. When I felt her hands on my heaving chest, I hugged her.

I didn't know what to do or say at this point.

I had no idea what she would be feeling, now that literally two powerful and dangerous people were out for her life.

And I was indirectly the reason for both of them.

Her nails dug into my shoulders as she wept and all I could do was rub her back in unsuccessful attempts to soothe her.

What did Father want? It had been almost a year since I left him. Why reach out to me, now?

Nevertheless, I couldn't hurt Breanna more than I already had. Which left me no choice but to go home and see him in person.

The thought of going back to the place that had left me with scars, that still bled, made my heart clench with pain.

But I would do it for her.

Damien was kneeling next to Phil, who was now regaining consciousness very slowly after being knocked out earlier.

"He's okay," Damien said as he helped him sit up.

If I hadn't known better, I would've snapped at him for not being able to protect Breanna.

But an unfamiliar tightness in my heart stopped me from doing that.

I looked back at Breanna and found her staring intently into my eyes. "You didn't tell me that you ran away from home."

Gulping, I gave her a nervous smile. "Couldn't handle my father."

Her eyes were glistening, scrutinizing me like never before. She had always looked down at me with resentment and hate; it was different now, but I couldn't exactly point out what.

A stern expression swept over her gentle features. "You're not going anywhere."

I couldn't feel anything but love for the girl in my arms. "I have to."

"No!" She clutched the fabric of my tee. "I'm not your responsibility! Would you have gone if it wasn't for me?"

I thought about it for a moment. I detested Father for making me go through such a rough childhood and for all the lies; I would never go back, no matter what.