Chapter 5

I have been working for the queen for three years. I have managed to become friends with other servants, cooks, gardeners, and even some of the guards! I run down the busy corridor. Servants and maids bustling around getting everything done before the guests arrive. Little do they know what lies ahead. I run into the royal study, interrupting an ongoing meeting.

"Your majesty! Please forgive my intrusion, but there is news from the gates into the city!" I exclaim.

"What would that be?" the queen asks, rising from her chair.

"The army has returned."

Her eyes widen and her face pales. She quickly excuses herself and walks briskly out of the door. After the door closes, she begins jogging down the halls, with me following suit. We jog to the front door to the castle and outside where we can see a parade of the army walking up to the front door. I can see about forty soldiers with three riding on horses. The one at the front has most of the maidens' attention. I'll admit, he is attractive, but he looks as if he is in his mid-twenties. The parade stops at the bottom of the steps and the soldier at the front hops off his horse and begins ascending the stairs. When he reaches the top, he looks at the queen and bows deeply.

"Hello, Mother," he says after he rises.

The queen walks up to him and hugs him tightly, tears running down her face. I suddenly feel a pang of jealousy. My mother never even looked at me without a look of hatred in her eyes, let alone hug me! When they pull away, I begin listening in on their conversation.

"So few of you have returned," she says.

"Many good men were lost during the battle. The residents of Ashbourne may be untrained in combat, but they are fierce when they're threatened," he responds.

"Did you take them all out?" she asks.

"No. Although we did take out the majority of their population," he answers.

"Did you capture any of them?" she inquires.

"Yes.  A young boy no older than fourteen," he replies.

"Bring him in and throw him in the dungeons!" the queen orders.

Immediately, two soldiers bring forward the young boy who looks quite jittery and nervous. The queen and the prince look down on him as if he was worse than a bug under their shoes. The soldiers roughly push him forward toward the dungeons. The queen and the prince talk for a while more, then suddenly, the entire parade disperses, and the queen has gone back inside. The only ones left outside are me and the prince. The prince looks down at me, much like he did to the captive.

"Are you the newest helper that my mother has hired?" he questions.

"Yes, my lord. I have been here for three years," I answer, bowing slightly.

"Then I feel the need to clarify some things for you. Do you feel as if my mother loves and cares for you like you are her own daughter?" he asks.

"Yes, my lord."

"Well then. Let me just clear this up. She doesn't. Soon enough your time will be up here. You will be fired and swiftly replaced. You look older than the other ones that she has hired, so your time will soon be up. My mother doesn't care about you. You are just cheap labor. The only reason that she hires little rats like you, is so that she can maintain a positive public image. Watch," he sneers.

With that, he turns and walks inside the castle. Leaving me out on the front steps dumbfounded. I quickly shake off my stupor and walk inside the castle. 

After dinner and the queen and the prince retire to their chambers, I begin making my way down to the dungeons. As I enter, the sound of quiet sobs reaches my ears. I follow the sound until I come to the cell where the young boy is kept. I kneel down in front of the cell and watch. The boy, feeling my stare, looks up and makes eye contact. He quickly flinches away and looks at me with fear in his eyes.

"Please don't hurt me," he whispers.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I promise," I say.

I notice several cuts, burns, and bruises lining his skin.

"What happened to you?" I whisper.

"They wanted information. I can't remember what, but they tried to use torture to get it out of me," he whispered.

"That's awful! I'm going to try to get you out of here. What's your name?" I state.

"Melch. You?" he responds.

"I'm Allison. I'll get you out as soon as I can," I whisper, standing up.

"Thank you," he says.

I smile and quietly sneak out of the dungeons, carefully avoiding the guards that are starting their shift.

The next morning, I get up, get dressed, and head over to the queen's chambers. I stand there for about an hour. When the queen doesn't show up, I decide to check the throne room. As I walk down the hall that meets the throne room, I hear the queen talking to someone. I peak around the corner and see that she is talking to a little boy, no older than six, and his family.

"Please, m'lady. We barely have enough money for food! His little sister is very sick and we can't afford to get a doctor!" his mother cries.

"I would be happy to let him work for me. Your payment will arrive every two weeks and don't worry, your son won't even see the money. He will be living here in the castle until his term is up," she explains.

"Thank you, m'lady!" the mother cries, bowing deeply. 

My eyes widen and my face pales. The queen orders a servant to get him fitted for an outfit. Once the servant and the boy leave, the queen turns to me with a sly smile on her face.

"Allison, you're fired," she states plainly. "You have thirty minutes to get everything in your room out, and to give your outfits back to the seamstress."

I stand there completely shellshocked.

"Did I stutter, brat? Go!" she yells.

I whimper lowly and run off back to my room. I slam my bedroom door and begin sobbing. My body shakes with every sob. I quickly take off all of the fancy clothing and put on some old tattered rags that resemble what I showed up in three years ago. I make sure that I have my father's sword and the money that I have earned. I decide to go out with a bang. I set my items in the corner of the room as I begin tearing up the room. I rip up the pillows and sheets, I throw decorative items across the room which ended in them breaking. Once I am satisfied with the trashed room, I smile triumphantly, gather my items, and walk down the halls. I knock on the seamstress's door and she opens it. Once she sees me, her eyes begin to water. I smile sadly at her and she envelops me in a hug, which I return. She pulls away and takes my clothing.

"So, Miss Allison. I guess you're on your way out?" she asks.

"Yeah. I'll miss you, Sarah," I say.

She smiles sadly at me and shuts the door. I sigh and walk out of the castle.