Chapter 2

My father works as apart of a construction team. He normally goes into work and doesn't come back home until a few days later. We rejoin my mother and siblings in the living room. The twins are running around wildly as my mother tries to read a book, completely ignoring the twins' antics.

"Go and grab the swords out of the closet, Athes. I'll meet you out in the front yard," Father says.

I nod and open the closet door. When I grab the swords, they are immediately snatched from my hands. I look over and see my mother holding the swords and glaring at my father. 

"What are you two going to do?" she asks, raising her voice.

"We are going to spar. Can you please give her back the swords?" my father replies.

"She's a lady! Not to mention only ten years old! She has no reason to be sparring!" my mother yells.

"Just because she's a girl doesn't mean that she can't spar. She may need the skills one day, so it's a good idea to teach her!" my father retorts.

"Fine! Do whatever you want!" my mom screams, roughly shoving me towards my father.

My mother throws the swords at me and I stumble to catch them. Once I catch the swords, I walk out into the front yard while hanging my head. A while later, my father emerges from the house. He walks up to me and I look up at him sadly.

"Get that frown off your face, Athes. You know how she is, and it is in no way reflective of what kind of person you are. You are stronger than you look. You've even beaten me at sparring a few times and I never go easy on you," my father comments.

I nod and hand him his sword. He takes it and assumes the proper stance. I do the same. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my mother watching us from the front porch. A wave of anger rushes through me as I grip the sword tighter. Suddenly, my father rushes toward me and I swiftly dodge his attack. I try to make an attack but he easily blocks it, our swords clashing loudly at the impact. He quickly takes a swing at my side which I easily avoid by moving to the side. After a few minutes, and a few nicks, I end up disarming him. His sword getting stuck in a nearby tree. I end up with the tip of my sword pointing at his neck. My father raises his hands in surrender and I lower my sword. 

"Nice going, Athes! You're getting better at that!" My father says, patting me on the back.

We both walk over to the tree where the sword is protruding from. My father tries to pull it out of the tree, but he fails. I try, and the sword comes flying out, causing me to fall to the ground. I laugh and my father helps me up.

"You're getting stronger too! I think you have a future at becoming a part of the Royal Guard!" My father exclaims.

"I really hope I do! That would be so much fun!" I exclaim.

My father chuckles and ruffles my long blonde hair. We both start walking back inside and we're once again greeted by my mother's glare.

"I can't believe that you're allowing her to do this! She's already a shame to this family, but if word goes out that she's sparring we won't be able to show our faces in public again!" Mother yells. 

"Athes, go and put the twins down for their nap. Your mother and I need to have a conversation. Don't come down here until I tell you to," Father says.

"Yes, Father," I say. 

I manage to grab the twins and bring them back upstairs. I told them to get into their pajamas and go into bed. They did, and I sat down in the rocking chair in the corner of the room.

"Athes?" Mudril asks.

"Yeah?" I respond.

"Why doesn't Mother like you?" she asks sleepily.

"Because apparently, I'm too similar to Grandma," I reply.

"What would that have to do with anything?" Dimae asks.

"Well, our grandmother on our Father's side was an elf that got shipped over here as a slave. Our grandfather's family purchased her, and our grandfather and our grandmother fell in love and secretly got married. now our dad is a half-elf, and our mom absolutely hates elves. She also hated our grandmother before she died from mysterious causes. So, when I was born, Father insisted that I be named after our grandmother since I looked just like her when I was born. That's why my ears are slightly pointed and I have blonde hair and blue eyes; while you guys have rounded ears and brown hair and brown eyes," I responded.

"Wow. I never knew that" Dimae says sleepily.

"Athes?" Mudril asks.

"Yes, Mudri?" 

"Can you sing for us?" she asks.

"Of course!" I say.

I wait for both of them to get comfortable.

"Er aur i galad will mír- upon cin, 

 Na tul- cin far awaui,

An hi nin mellon, post soundlui,

Cín anand will tul- ,

 Im shall n- bui cin 'til i verui meth,

  An hi nin mel, post soundlui," 

The song put them to sleep very quickly. Their soft snores fill the room.  I'm very surprised that I remember the song that Father sang to me when I was their age. I smile and quietly leave their room. I hear my father and mother arguing downstairs so I just walk into my room. I walk over to my bookshelf and grab my favorite book. I flop onto my bed and begin reading it for the twentieth time. About thirty minutes later I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in," I say, not taking my eyes off the book.

My father enters my room, closing the door behind him.

"Your mother is set on not letting you spar anymore," he says.

"Is that all you came to tell me? Because I already knew that," I say, closing my book.

"No. She suggested that we...kick you out," he says.

"What?! You can't kick me out!" I cry out angrily, sitting up further.

"I talked her out of it, it's okay," Father says, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"So, now what?" I ask.

"I would just do as she says for a while to not make her angry. You don't want her doing something rash," my father says.

"I don't understand why she hates me so much," I mumble sadly.

"Well, her family resented elves for a long time. She didn't know that I was a half-elf until after you were born. So, she resents you more than your siblings because she can't deny the elvish in your blood as she can with Murdi and Dimae," Father explains.

"Why does she hate elves?" I ask.

"Her family believed that elves are a slave race. Even the dwarves don't hate elves like us humans did at the time. The dwarves, although they didn't like the elves, could recognize their beauty and skills. Some people who grew up in families that despised elves solely because they were considered a 'slave race', still have those beliefs today," my father explains sadly.

"That's not right," I murmur.

"I know, Athes. However, it's how things are. There's nothing we can do," Father says, smiling sadly. 

I nod.

"Well, dinner will be ready in about thirty minutes, so make yourself presentable and wash up," my father says, standing up.

"Yes, Father," I reply.

He smiles and walks out of my room,  closing the door behind him.