At 1:00 am I woke to the faint sound of the piano. A mournful piece. Looking around our room, I knew Christian had been in here; his cufflinks were in the tray I'd bought him, his shoes in the corner, but his side of our bed was smooth and not wrinkled, so he hadn't rested beside me.

I rolled onto my side, sitting up with a grimace. My incision site hurt like a bitch and I was still bleeding although it had slowed down considerably. Padding across to Teddy's crib I watched as he roused, picking him up and taking him to the chair in the corner of the room. He fed quickly, and since he didn't need a change, I put him back down. After using the bathroom myself, I pondered going to Christian so we could talk things through, but eventually decided he'd come to me when he was ready.

I didn't hear Christian come to bed, however he was asleep beside me when Teddy woke at 4:30 am. My husband's face looked tired and worn; I didn't have the heart to wake him, so I fed and changed Teddy as quietly as possible. Carefully slipping back into bed without disturbing Christian, I sighed contentedly when he curled closer to me in his sleep, moving to drape his arm across me.

When Teddy and I woke close to 8:00 am, Christian was nowhere to be seen. The bathroom still foggy, he must have recently showered. Since we weren't due at Grey House until ten, I assumed he was sulking in his study. Muttering a curse that would have landed me a red card had Christian heard it, I sat up once again feeding and changing Teddy alone. Dressed in a bath robe, I ventured downstairs hoping for a civil discussion with my husband.

"Good morning Ana," Gail said, smiling at me kindly.

"Morning Gail," I replied. "Where is everyone?"

"Your mother has not yet come down, and Mr. Grey is in his study."

"Has he eaten?"

"No. Can I get you your usual breakfast?" Gail asked, coming around the bench to help me buckle Teddy into his activity center so I could eat.

"Maybe later. I'll just go take Christian a coffee."

Gail poured a cup, passing it to me. I wandered across the great room towards the doors of Christian's study. Standing outside, I heard my husband's voice but no one else's, so he must be on the phone. I knocked and entered, surprised to see Christian already dressed in his work attire. Looking up at me he muttered "Just a moment," into the phone before saying "Yes, Anastasia?"

He looked irritated.

"Just bringing you coffee," I said, putting my peace offering down on his desk.

"Thank you," he said, barely glancing at me before saying "Ok, I'm back," into the handset.

Backing out of Christian's office I closed the doors behind me, walking through the great room and up the stairs to our bedroom. Throwing myself onto the bed, I let myself cry.

 Throwing myself onto  the bed, I let myself cry

By 9:30 Teddy and I were ready to go. I'd done my best with my hair and makeup, but there'd be no covering the dark circles under my eyes, and while yesterday I thought my pants and blouse had looked yummy mummy, now I just felt fat and frumpy. Waiting in the great room, Teddy was already in his car seat capsule when Christian emerged from his study. Taylor and McIntyre, one of the new hires, appearing moments afterward. As per the agreed protocol, McIntyre took the car capsule after checking Teddy had been suitably secured. I bristled, reminding myself he wasn't doubting my parenting abilities, just double-checking Teddy's safety.