Michael shakes his head, ''Not as much as I wish. My parents didn't encourage it. They refused to pay for music lessons, so I'm mostly self-taught. They didn't want me to study music in college, either. Families are always like that.''

Calum bites his lip. He disagrees, actually. His family has always encouraged him regardless of what he was doing. He still remembers when his dad took him to his first swimming lesson. Calum was a small kid, a lot smaller than the other boys in his class and he got picked on for that. So his dad encouraged him with sports. When he failed in school because he had too many hours of working out with Matty, he didn't get mad. He told him that he was proud of Calum being so good.

''I know, right?'' Calum says, just because he doesn't want to contradict Michael and Michael grins at him.

''But don't worry. I'll study music in college next year!'' Michael explains.

''That's a good idea. Is this why you are working at Matty's? I mean, like, saving up-''

''That and to pay rent.'' Michael tells him. He glances at Calum's face, barely making out his features in the darkness of the space and adds, ''And just to have something to do during the day.''

Calum glances back at him, trying to figure out the meaning of his words. His frown quickly turns into a grimace.

''Fuck!'' 

There's a burning sensation in his back and a few seconds later it turns into a strong pain in his left tight that makes him double over and grab his leg with both hands, holding his breath so that he doesn't scream.

''Hey, what's wrong? Do you need me to pull over?'' Michael asks, shaking him by the shoulder.

''I'm fine,'' Calum manages to spit out between his clenched teeth. He rests his head on the dashboard, not ready to sit straight yet.

''I'm sorry. I'm - I'm good,'' Calum says after a few minutes, trying to ignore the awful sensation. His foot is twitching now and he can't control it. The pain moved from his thigh to his lower leg and he can feel the muscles spasming under his hands.

He comes back to reality only when the car stops and he feels Michael pushing him back against the seat.

''What's wrong?''

''Nothing, Michael, really. I'm good.''

''You aren't. And I really want to go out with you, but you need to tell me what's happening. I was about to crash into the car in front of me. I need to know that things like this can happen.''

Calum feels like crying. His mom was probably right, he shouldn't have gone out. He can always go with Mali, at least she knows how to handle him and he doesn't need to be strong in front of her.

'' You don't need to be strong in front of me either, Calum,'' Michael says and Calum bites his tongue when he realizes that he was thinking out loud.

''Please, tell me what's wrong,'' he insists.

Calum looks at Michael's left. The sky is dark and he can't really see anything, but it's better than looking at Michael. ''It was just a spasm. Nothing too bad.''

''You're crying,'' Michael points out, ''Is it your leg?''

''My calf mostly.''

''Did anyone tell you what to do when you get them?'' Michael asks, moving a bit closer and forcing Calum's hands off his leg. He begins rubbing the place where Calum's barely existent muscles are cramping. Calum technically knows what to do, but the pain is so intense that he can't help himself. Luckily for him, Michael knows what he is doing and the pain slowly fades, reducing to a dull ache. ''Better?''

A nod is Calum's only reply.

When Michael feels how uncomfortable he is, he doesn't drop the subject but he doesn't pressure Calum into talking like everyone else does.

''I used to get cramps when I went on a crazy diet a couple of years ago. Learned the hard way how to treat them.' '

''Thanks,'' Calum chokes out. He is out of breath and his mouth has a weird taste, it happens whenever he gets anxious. But at least he isn't stuttering.

''Hey now, I'm taking you in the best burger store in the city. Can I get a smile at least?''

Calum forces a smile and after the little episode, everything goes the right way.

He ends up going home way too late for his mom's liking, but when Mali yells at her to shut up, she lets Calum be.

His dad is still awake when Calum comes back and for a moment he enjoys even the thought that he might be angry. But then he stands up and goes upstairs without even glancing at Calum.

It's clear by now that his dad is disappointed that he's not able to swim anymore. He isn't his dad's champion and he'll never be that again. It's time for him to accept that.

All in all, he had a good day, he had fun with Michael and he won't let his dad ruin it. 

.

When Michael comes home, his house is cold and no one is waiting for him. He turns the TV on first because he needs some noise and then he sits on the couch. He'll probably fall asleep there once again, but he doesn't bother to go up in his room and it's not like there is someone to tell him to.

He is tired, but when his phone vibrates in his pocket, he still checks on it. There is a text from Ashton.

- U awake?

Instead of answering, Michael calls him. ''Why are you awake this late?'' Michael asks when his friend picks up.

''Hi, Ashton! I haven't heard from you in a while. Are you okay? Oh, yes, Michael. I'm great,'' Ashton says mocking him.

''Yeah, whatever. What do you need Ash?'' 

There is a noise and Michael guesses Ashton dropped the phone. Then he picks it up and talks, ''What were you doing out so late?'' 

Michael feels stupid to be so flustered that someone bothers enough to ask why he was late. He doesn't have a lot of people to talk to. It's just nice that someone cares. ''Are you stalking me now?'' he asks Ashton, trying to not show his feelings.

''No, Michael. I went to yours and you weren't home. So, how was your date?'' 

Michael doesn't bother asking how Ashton knew he had a date. He knows, as always.

The funny thing is that he met Ashton barely three months ago and the boy got so clingy from the start. Surprisingly Ashton made his way to Michael's heart, growing into him way too quickly for his standards. And Michael owns a lot to Ashton. He picked him up when he was in a really bad place. He knows Ashton is suffering too, but the boy always manages to plaster a smile on his face and get through the day. Michael tried to ask about it a couple of times, but Ashton shrugged and dropped the subject, so Michael doesn't ask anymore.

''My date was nice. He is a boy from work. You know, the one who needed private lessons. Turns out he is not a kid.'' 

In the end, Michael explains anything about the boy he met. Ashton is good at listening and he seems oddly interested in Michael's work life.