Still No Date For The Prom?

Comenzar desde el principio

 Idiot still owes me.

I don't stop running until my legs give out, slamming my body onto the ground. I have to flip over onto my back, the lack of air finally getting to me. My hair was flat against my forehead with sweat, with no Calum to fluff it back up.

I can feel the leg muscles that I wanted when I was fifteen finally coming in. Why did I even want them? They sting and shoot needles up and down my legs.

Its Calum's fault, fifteen year old Calum wanted to date the ninth grade track star.

I wanted to get fit so Calum would shut up about her legs. In the end, I bought a pizza and told the track star Calum had some kind of disease that stayed consistent with Asian people.

She may have been the track star but she was definitely not the brightest bulb.

Calum went in to do his signature flirting technique at the time and the next day she moved towns. He was so depressed for three days until he returned to his usual hyperactive puppy dog self.

Middle school crushes were great, thinking you're in love, break up or rejection, small phase of minor depression, back in the game. The small chance of you making it out with your hand linked with your long term partner, a real scare.

I went through middle school and a bit of high school with my hip glued to Calum's, just figuring out bits and pieces of the jumbled mess that was my emotions. We were invited to prom because of the lack of twelfth graders. I wasn't even going to show up, I had my whole night planned out from my pizza toppings to the order I would play my video games.

I still remember.... FIFA 9, Fable, one of the Halo games--whichever one caught my attention, and finally Pokemon until dawn.

Calum begged me to go. Insisting he'd find me a date--whoever I wanted--and buy me pizza the next dayI quickly rejected, not having been attracted to any girls weeks previous. 

The night of prom he showed up in a dull blue dress shirt and black dress pants, with matching bow tie and suspenders. A flashy bouquet had my mother enchanted, she rattled off the names of each flower to me the day after, talking about how unique each one was and how they aren't usually all used in the same arrangement. She pressed one of each flower into a book, intent on saving the flowers for reminisce.

"...Michael dear, the bouquet brought is beautiful. Look at these yellow and white Carnations... The lilac smells amazing! The red, white and pink roses look absolutely gorgeous... Yellow and purple tulips are a great match... And oh! The single daffodil simply pulls the whole thing together..."

Calum trudged his way up to my room and all but dragged me out of bed. He didn't talk to me until we had arrived at the dance. "You look great."

I was wearing a Metallica shirt, plaid pyjama pants and mismatch socks with crazed bed head, my mum made sure to get a picture of it before I was swept out the door. Going to prom that nigh was like going to yell at your neighbours for being to loud only to find yourself stranded in the middle of a cocktail party. 

Luke had a great laugh at my sprucing up skills, I nearly smacked him in his hand-me-down tailored suit jacket and black skinny jeans.

Calum didn't even blink when desperate girls came to ask him for a dance, explaining that he would be leaving his date if he did. 

Now that I think of it, I never even got to meet his date...

He spent three minutes trying to coax me into dancing with him, the dance ended up being something in between a waltz and the macarena with a few improvised moves along the way. We laughed the entire time and I was practically rolling on the ground when he started to try doing the hokey pokey with his arms tangled loosely around me, his grip tight enough to keep me upright.