♡ Derek Lutz // Holiday Hero ♡

These were the last few days of the semester before the entire campus would turn into a ghost town

        These were the last few days of the semester before the entire campus would turn into a ghost town. Your roommate had already left the day before, while you just had tomorrow morning to turn in this assignment for your English Literature class. Then it was time to hop on the next train back home, sleep in until noon, and eat all the food that's a million times better than what's offered at the dining hall.

Picking a quiet spot wouldn't be a difficult task since pretty much a large population of the students had already left to be with their families. In between the high shelves of heavy books in the law section, no one would even think to bother you there. Your papers of research and drafts upon drafts, highlighted text, and multiple writing utensils (in case one snap and/or runs out of ink) claimed your space, and you were ready to dive in.

The scratching of your pen and chewing of your gum filled the section for a few hours, a focused workflow already defining itself. That is, until the sound of shuffling of a seat and heavy books being slammed down on the space across from you. Jumping shoulders, but your head staying down. Eyes looked up to follow who was the asshole making all that noise. This near-empty library, so close to winter break, the librarians let a lot slide by. No one shushed him or asked him to leave. It slightly annoyed you, but you kept working. You were so close to finishing, whoever this guy was, you couldn't be bothered.

Arriving at the library right after breakfast earlier, you could see the light changing into warm dusk, signaling the day was soon coming to an end. So was your essay. The ending of your paragraph, the last punctuation mark, it felt like a weight had been lifted off your shoulders. The only thing left was the impending final grade your professor decided.

Exhaling, as your hard work was complete, you started packing up your things.

Turning to put on your jacket that hung on your seat, you made eye contact with the student across from you.

"Uhm- can I help you?" Still being in the library, you knew your etiquette to keep your voice down.

He just looked at you and smiled, "Do you have a pencil I can borrow?"

For a split second, you totally blanked, questioning beyond belief, 

'He'd been here sitting for the past two hours and didn't even have a pencil??'

"Yeah, sure, here." You get up, all packed, and hand him the one you had just been using. Your bag was slung over one shoulder, the other arm extending out. All he did was smile at you. Turning away, knowing he was looking you up and down, he finally took the pencil. "Thanks." Smiling, he had a small little gap in his front teeth. That for some reason, made you turn red in the apples of your cheeks. Your heart started racing a bit, before saying "Don't mention it," and rushing out of the building. What was that all about?

Grabbing some food to go, thinking there was no way you found him cute:  You were just hungry probably, but all you saw was that smile when your head would zone out. Hungry and tired. Yes, that's what you were, you kept telling yourself. All that brain work had you delusional, so this warm meal, a hot shower, and a good night's rest would restart your system. Back to your dorm to pack the rest of your things, you slept well that night for once, knowing everything was in order for the conclusion of your semester.