CHAPTER 39: Hell Can't Wait

Start from the beginning

He stood up and told Kevin, "This will only take a second if you allow me working on it here with topical anesthesia?"

"It's fine," Kevin sighed with a shrug.

"Great." The doctor said and he began pulling some medical equipment from the box Rosaline was holding.

He and Rosaline worked on the wound until the doctor grunted, "Ugh. I can't see clearly with these dirty glasses." He asked Josh, "Young man, would you be kind and clean my glasses for me. You can use the hand sanitizer in the bathroom."

Josh picked the glasses and said, "Sure."

As he was about to walk, Kevin grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled him back. Josh stared down at Kevin and all he saw was fear.

"Don't leave me," Kevin murmured.

Josh assured him, "I'm not leaving the room. It's just the bathroom. I won't even close the door, OK?"

Kevin hesitatingly nodded and let go of Josh, allowing him to go to the bathroom.

Kevin heard the doctor hiss in pain as he grabbed his lower right side of his back.

"Your back hurts," Kevin blurted as if he remembered someone with a back injury too; a greasy injury.

The doctor answered, "Yeah, it's because of an accident a few years ago."

Then the doctor rose up and lifted his right hand to the equipment on the table next to Kevin, allowing him to get a good look at his hand.

Kevin said, "Umm. Doc. I think your hand is bleeding."

There was indeed a blood spot visible on the inside of the doctor's white glove.

"Oh, would you look at that," the doctor said with a silly chuckle. "It is bleeding."

Kevin suddenly froze as a memory started coming back to him. It happened right after he heard the last gunshot. He remembered Duke screaming, "Ah! Son of a bitch!" while grimacing and squeezing his right hand using his left one.

The brown-eyed doctor smirked at Kevin and removed his gloves revealing a bandaged hand underneath them.

Kevin stared at the doctor's eyes, completely paralyzed by fear. He stared until the doctor blinked and he saw it; the real color of the doctor's eyes hidden behind two brown contact lenses.

Kevin gulped nervously as he felt the air suffocating him. "Your eyes," he said in a trembling, weak voice. "They're-they're blue."

The doctor stood up in full height. He was no longer a hunchback. He replied, "Indeed, they are." His once friendly smile turned into a sinister grin, so sinister that made the hair stand in Kevin's whole skin.

Kevin's voice started quivering as he whimpered, "Oh, crap." No, this is not happening.

Suddenly, the doctor's voice turned deep and gruff when he showed his teeth and said, "What about my teeth? Are they pointy and big?"

Kevin rested his head down as he bitterly closed his eyes. He recognized the voice. He let out a nervous breath before he whined, "Oh, my God." Not again. Please, God. Not again!

"'Cause I'm the big bad wolf!" said Duke with arms proudly spread wide, pronouncing each word with emphasis to deliberately inflict fear into his special victim; the one that got away.

Kevin's whole body trembled in terror. He felt like he might die from a heart attack right at this moment. His tears steadily found their way down his cheeks. His quiet whimpers got lost between his audible, deep, uneven breaths. He was hyperventilating. He denied that it was true, hoped it was his imagination, and prayed so hard that it was all in his head until a blood-curdling laugh snapped him out of his confusion followed by a howl.