Chapter X

a/n: This is the final chapter of part one as sakura desperately tries to escape. thanks for reading.

PART ONE 

Chapter X - The Fire

By the time Sakura reached Konoha Village, she was out on her feet. She looked over at the huge Hokage monument on her left hand side, their fighting spirit passed through the generations. She hoped to capture that spirit but all she could do now was run, run for safety, run for her life.

As Sakura ran along gravelly path towards the village, she was sent reeling by a huge fire burst coming from one of the houses knocking out all the windows. The heat was intense and Sakura shielded her face to cover against the falling ash and debris.

Sakura looked up. It wasn't the only house on fire. There were more, three or four, she couldn't count, down the street - all in flames. There were no screams though, just charred bodies lying on the floor. Bodies disintegrated and as black as coal.

Sakura stopped to take in the situation. She couldn't believe it. She ran on. More houses, more shops on fire. Everything was gone. Nobody was left in the village.

"Sasuke!" Sakura cried.

No response. Just the flicker of flames dancing towards the sky. Everyone was gone. Sakura couldn't help but think they were all dead. The school and now the village. What had happened while she had been unconscious?

Sakura looked behind her. Rock Lee and TenTen were still chasing her. She had an awful stitch. She felt like she couldn't run any further. Sakura ran and hid behind a tree. It wasn't much but there weren't any safe places left. All the houses were on fire, the whole village ablaze, black smoke spilling out high above Hokage mountain.

Sakura held her breath trying not to make a sound. Rock Lee and TenTen were closing in fast on the village. She tried as hard as she could to control her breathing. For a moment, she forgot how tired she was.

The tree was thick enough to hide her entire body behind it. She was lucky she was so slim. She was looking round. She couldn't stay there forever. She had to find another place to go, another place to hide.

Then before she could react, two white threads came down from above and wrapped themselves around Sakura's slender waist. Sakura's eyes widened when she was suddenly lifted up high into the tree by the white threads.

Sakura screamed and struggled to get free. She pulled at the threads until she realised they were attached to a man's hands. She recognised the red haired man immediately. He was her classmate, Sasori.

Sakura screamed again. Sasori opened his mouth and brought his hand close to her face. Sakura knew what this meant. She was waiting for the fangs to come. She was waiting for the inevitable bite to the neck that would turn her into a vampire too.

Sasori brought his mouth closer.

Sakura scratched at his eyes leaving a nasty red scar down the side of his face.  

Sasori recoiled in pain. The white threads loosened around Sakura's waist and moved back into Sasori's hands. Sakura pushed him trying to knock him off the tree. 

"Get away from me, you crazy vampire!" she screamed.

Sasori was shocked. "Hey, hey, Sakura, I'm not a vampire. You know me!!"

Sakura screamed again. "I don't know anyone anymore!"

Sakura pushed him again but Sasori just managed to keep his balance on the tree. Sakura jumped down from the tree, landing hard. She heard the crack of her ankle as she landed, her legs crumpling beneath her and she rolled.  

Sakura got up immediately as if nothing had happened. She hobbled as fast as she could in the opposite direction. She looked amid the flames. She could see there were more vampires, maybe 10 or 12. She was trapped. There was no way out.

Sakura felt she had to take a chance so she limped to her house. She hoped it would still be there in one piece. All her memories were there, all the memories of her childhood. She didn't want to believe that they were gone.

When she reached the house. It was in flames too. The image of her house of fire burnt into the retina of her eye. She would never forget that day. How sacred she felt, the pain. the loss, the sorrow. It was all too much to bare.

Sakura tried to enter the house but the flames kept her out. She couldn't even get near it. She called out for Sasuke again and for Ino. Her voice attracted the attention of one of the nearby vampires and she soon found herself cornered.

There was a loud crack from up above her. Sakura looked up. A falling piece of wood had come loose and fallen from her roof. She didn't have to time to move or even to cover herself. The heavy wooden board hit Sakura right on the head and she fell to the ground, unconscious.

The vampire closed on her with murderous intent. Then Sasori came running from behind and drove a wooden stake through the vampire's heart. The vampire crumpled to the floor as its body decayed and its face disappeared.

Sasori rushed over to the girl lying on the ground. He remembered he was in the same situation just the day before but the circumstances were so different. The world was such a different place.

There was no Sasuke to ruin it now though for him. He was dead. Sasori had seen him disappear amongst the escaping masses from the school. Sasori had escaped on Deidara's giant bird.

Sakura opened her eyes and saw Sasori leaning over her.

She started thrashing again.

"No, get away from me, you freak!!"

Sasori was having a hard time restraining her. He stared into Sakura's bright green eyes.

"Stop it, Sakura, we have to get out of here now!"

Sasori's eyes changed to a deep purple and soon Sakura's eyes grew heavy. She couldn't keep them open. She closed them wondering what would happen to her. She wondered if this was her last waking moment as a human.

But all those thoughts passed as she fell into a blissful sleep and everything went black.