five

/and we're all just looking for love to change the world (ahh)

~ Everyone is Gay, A Great Big World /

As we drive on, New Town starts to take shape. It is much more alive than dull, gray Patrickton. There's colour and activity everywhere. The buildings are starting to get closer to each other until it's just one stretch of similar-sized buildings hugging each other. There's some sort of orderly chaos to them: they're all box-shaped with square windows and round doors, but they've all got different colours. We pass a green building, but then the next one is suddenly red, then yellow, then orange.

"It's very pretty, isn't it?" Farry says, glancing back at me. I nod, then he smiles. Farry is a very lovable person, I think.

"It gets noisier and busier from here," Hank says. "We wanted to be away from all the noise during the day - that's why we built the shop just outside Patrickton. But at night? We like to join the buzz!" He lifts his hands off the steering wheel and dances a little, to which Farry scolds him.

We then pass underneath a long ribbon which is tied from one building on the side of the road to the other side. It's decorated with red triangles and circles hanging off from it.

And from here on, I feel the buzz that Hank's been on about.

There's people everywhere. They're laughing and talking. Loud music booms from the loud amplifiers, stationed strategically outside, and there are vendors and hawkers selling all sorts of items. There's lots of art on the walls too, with drawings of dancers or large fonts stating something vulgar.

I love this place. It's such a contrast to Patrickton, and I absolutely love it.

Hank rolls down all four windows of the vehicle and the smells hit me. Just as colourful as the buildings are or as noisy as the place is, the smell of New Town tingles with everything: spices, incense, cinnamon, raw fish, smoke, perfume, cheap beer. Now, I see why it's nicknamed Crazy Town, but it also has a certain effect on you. It makes you happy, excited, and full of energy.

Soon enough, the car stops in a parking on the side of the road. We get out, and I walk slowly behind Hank and Farry. I look around curiously, enjoying the rainbows that each of my senses feel, see, smell, taste and hear.

Farry seems to know everyone around here, seeing as he is greeted with smiles and nods as we go along. Hank also stops to talk to a woman who's got bright orange lipstick painted on her thick lips. But finally, we stop outside a motel.

For some reason, it seems as if everyone's business here is named after them. And thus, Quinton's motel is, in fact, called Quinton's Motel. It's a purple building with white painted around the box windows.

"Quinton!" Hank shouts as he bursts through the motel door, leading us into the reception. A head snaps up in response, and I assume that it is Quinton. He is wearing a purple suit and has his hair shaved off at the bottom only. The rest of his hair has been tied up in a little knot at the top.

"Hank! Farry!" He comes towards us and hugs each man. "And to whom do I owe this pleasure?" He leans forward at me, offering his hand.

"She's Lilac," Hank answers before I can say anything. "She needs a place to stay."

"And how much money do you have? We'll see what we can work with what you've got," Quinton says, directing it at me.

I suddenly panic. I don't have any money.

"I don't ha--"

"It's all on me." Farry says. "I'll pay for however long she needs to stay." He turns to me. "Don't worry about it, Lilac."

"You...you don't have to," I whisper. I look down, ashamed to have inconvenienced him. Farry comes closer to me and gives me a hug.

"You're a great kid. I can see it in your eyes. I'll pay for you, and I'll give you some extra money so you can find your way alright. Get a job around here, make more money, and do whatever you want. You've had it a hard, and the thing about New Town? It gives you the chance to start again," he pauses. I nod. "You can be whoever you want to be, in whichever way. It's now up to you to choose your own future."

He says this quietly, that only I can hear, and he looks into my eyes intently. I look back, unafraid, as his words give me comfort. I feel like he, too, has been through something like this.

Hank comes over as Farry backs away. He squeezes some money into my palms and tells me to keep it. I can't believe how lucky I am to have met these two.

"We've got to go open the shop now, kiddo," Hank says.

We wave goodbye, and I'm not sure I'll see them again. Pretty soon, it's quiet and awkward as I wait for Quinton to do something.

"We don't serve food here, by the way. Let me show you to your room." He pulls open a door tucked away in the corner and I follow him up the stairs. He leads me down a narrow pathway, takes out a key from his pocket and hastily opens the door.

"Thank you," I say, stepping in. It's very tiny, with space just only for a bed and a light stand. There's a small window at the corner of the room. Another door leads into the bathroom, which is crammed with a toilet, sink and a shower.

Quinton is still standing at the door. "It's lovely," I tell him. He purses his lips together, as if he's acknowledged my approval, and leaves.

The time reads 1:01pm.

I flop onto the bed, not knowing what to do. Before I know it, my eyes close and I whisk away into sleep.

Birds are flying everywhere around me. They aren't chasing me or attacking me. But it's as if they're trying to tell me something. They're white and beautiful, soaring up into the dizzy blue and then falling swiftly. Then, they swoop just before they hit the ground. Suddenly, I feel myself lifting, higher and higher and higher, until I've got my own white wings. And I soar, like the birds, but I begin to sink. And sink. And I can't control myself -

LILAC!

LILAC!

I wake up with a start.

"Lilac!" I hear once more.

"Coming!" I reply, awkwardly moving towards the door. I rub my eyes as I recognize Farry and Hank, standing there, in the most comical neon trousers. A small giggle escapes my lips.

"Not the thing you're used to seeing in Patrickton, eh?" Farry winks.

"Were you sleeping?" Hank says. He's got a pairing headband that's glowing, and I only realise that the evening has descended upon us.

"What's the time?"

"That's all she knows how to ask."

"Hank, don't be mean." A small grin plays of Farry's lips. "It's eight o'clock. We're taking you somewhere."

"Where to?"

"You'll see. But you can't go dressed like that, love. It's too...boring."

I look down at the only clothes I've had for ages. Finding myself in agreement, I nod and step out of the room. Locking the door, I hop off after my two new friends.

It's a great feeling, having new friends.

"Quinton, my man! Seeing you tonight, eh?" They all hi-five each other, and I can't help but feel a little left out. Still, there seems to be some sort of excitement in the air, and I love it.

After we leave the hotel lobby, we walk for a while.

"We've got to stop by some few shops for you," Hank says.

I don't know what they want me to wear, but I take their word for it. The last time I went shopping was with my father, seven years ago. I don't remember what we'd gone to buy...

"Oh cheer up, Lilac!" Farry pounds my shoulder gently. "It's going to be a great night."

Lovely banner by eightyone81! Thanks babe xx