Chapter Ten~ Questioning

Headmaster Ervin hadn't changed, not that I was expecting him to. He'd looked exactly the same for the entirety of my four years at Carthowa. But, considering that my best case scenario involved my working as his assistant for the foreseeable future, I dared to hope he'd somehow evolved.

I wasn't so lucky; Dr. Ervin's watery, puffy eyes inspected me from beneath white brows, bushy enough to pass for some sort of rodent. Hunched back in my chair to avoid eye contact, I remained nestled in my Trench Coat, despite Evrin's imploring me to remove it.

"Well, Jean, I can't deny that your test scores give you a lead..." Ervin admitted, scowling at the screen built into his desk, displaying the ranks of Carthowa's class of 2500. "Your brother couldn't have hoped to score as high in academics. Nice boy, though. How is Donald?"

Of course. Because why would he want to talk about me during my interview? "He's doing well, Sir. He recently got engaged."

"Oh, did he?" The headmaster picked up his glass of amber liquid. "A toast to the boy and very lucky girl. May Donald have the best. He deserves an obedient wife—needs one. If that boy had one flaw it was that he was soft. He won't be able to control a very headstrong girl."

"I think his fiancée will be just fine," I mumbled, deciding that perhaps Ervin was right about one thing; while his choice of wife shouldn't be effected, Donald was softer than the standard Trujohnese male. I loved my brother all the more for it.

"Onto your interview," the headmaster continued. "Do you recall what I said when I first met you your freshman year?"

I thought back for a moment. With ease I remembered our first meeting precisely: I'd darted into Ervin's office to fetch a file for my Calculus Three teacher. I was getting used to my unofficial four year internship as errand-girl for all my professors, an unwanted job shared by all the Learned Females. This was to be expected of course; since our education was a joke our missing large periods of class was of little consequence. "You said 'you must be my new assistant. Refill my scotch and find me a new belt somewhere before I withhold your pay this week.'"

"Exactly. Wouldn't be surprised if that was word for word!" He scratched his mustache. "And who would have guessed that you'd one day be applying for that exact position."

"Practically prophetic, headmaster," I said.

"Indeed," Ervin agreed. "But why exactly do you want to be my assistant?"

"To repay my family and cease burdening them." If I hadn't taken the Mark, I'd already be married and would no longer be Dad's responsibility. It wasn't fair that I continued to mooch off his gracious hospitality.

"Uh huh. Why do you think you're worth me hiring you? And what tasks can you accomplish for me if I gave you this job?" He raised a bushy eyebrow. "What sort of orders are you willing to fulfill?"

I swallowed. "Well, I have a very good memory, which means I can efficiently keep things organized and fetch things for you. I'm determined to do a good job. I'm punctual and..."

Doctor Ervin had begun twirling the electronic-cigarettes on his desk, clearly not paying any attention.

Then make him pay attention, Andi urged.

I could practically hear Elaine's voice in my head. You want this job, don't you? Then play the damn game and get it.

Fine. Time to play.

Biting my tongue, I slipped out of my trench coat, letting the fabric slide off my shoulders, revealing only the black tank-top I wore underneath; I hadn't been expecting to remove the coat.