Chapter One~ The Meeting

My father—not the Father—was proud of me. My heart swelled to have pleased him. I wasn't sure if my mother was as impressed. More than likely, she was entirely lost throughout the duration of my Summa Cum Laude speech. It was a wonder what fours years of schooling could do.

They'd meet me back at the house. My headmaster wished to speak with me, and I wouldn't want to keep them waiting. Father had protested, not wanting me to ride the tram home alone, but there was only so long they could trust Donald to watch Jim. Children needed a woman to look after them, and it wasn't as if Elaine was much help. Father needed to escort Mother home so that she could continue caring for my young nephew.

I shrugged out of my orange graduation gown, the vibrant color representing Trujohn. Folding whatever books and supplies I had into the fabric, I slipped the objects into my black backpack.

Nervously, I rapped my knuckles against my Headmaster, Doctor Ross Ervin's, office door. Why does he want to see me? I couldn't help but worry I'd said something wrong in my speech. Perhaps my brief anecdote on gender had been dubbed scandalous. Hadn't Dad mentioned that I'd seemed a bit too pleased with myself when I'd practiced my speech for him?

After an agonizingly long pause, Dr. Ervin's dry, grumbling voice finally filtered into the corridor where I waited. "Is that Jean Bennett? Well, what are you waiting for, sweetheart? Get in here."

I scrambled through the white painted door, then, realizing how ridiculous my haste appeared, slowed to a brisk walk as I approach Dr. Ervin's large, black desk. "You wished to see me, Sir?"

"Yes, yes, sweetie, sit down." Dr. Ervin waved his beefy arms, pointing one stubby finger at a small iron stool across the desk from him.

Keeping my eyes lowered in respect, I set my backpack beside the stool. I lowered myself into the uncomfortable seat, cool metal nipping through the fabric of my pants.

"So, Jean Bennett, the little Trujohnese History Major no one thought would succeed." As Dr. Ervin spoke, I could see his bushy grey mustache quiver out of the corner of my eyes.

"Sir?" It was odd to be addressed by my given name. Hardly anyone had called me Jean in almost ten years- not since my little brother, Jonathan, started going by John, and I decided our names were too similar. I'd been Jeanie ever since. It wasn't too great a change, but different enough that it was strange to be referred to as Jean.

"You should be proud of yourself, girly," the Headmaster guffawed. "Carthowa's first ever female Summa Cum Laude."

"Thank you, Sir," I managed, studying the contents of Dr. Ervin's colossal desk rather than look into his watery, drooping blue eyes, half concealed by his large, red nose.

There were seven expensive, orange Electronic Cigarette Pens arranged in a neat row. Beside the Pens rested three full glass bottles of cigarette juice in various flavors I found seemed quite unpleasant: Trujohn Blend, Bikini Inspector, and Shooting Range.

Dr. Ervin coughed, bringing a small glass of amber colored liquid to his hairy lips. "Formality out of the way, there's something that must be addressed."

My stomach lurched. So I had done something wrong. If they took away my diploma, I'd be forbidden from working anywhere. But with the Mark of Learned Females branded into my skin, I'd be unable to marry. Without work or husband, a woman had little choices left. Prostitution was in most cases the only remaining way to support oneself. I shuddered at the thought.

"While your speech was well written, and your loyalty to Trujohn-Fatherland was apparent," Dr. Ervin began, "the Carthowa Board felt that it sends a wrong message. We don't want it to sound like this school encourages females to pursue a degree. We offer it as a last resort for those not cut out for childrearing.  You make it seem like the better option."