Prologue~ Hail our Fatherland

"The world was divided- sliced apart by violence. Bullets blasted holes through our planet. Bodies fell like debris.

"That was four hundred so and ten years ago, yet the rifts caused by The War are still gaping canyons that separate mankind. The War lasted sixty-nine years, beginning in twenty-twenty-one and continuing until twenty-ninety. It wouldn't have stopped if drastic changes hadn't been made.

"During the first battles, The War was called World War Three. Soon, it was clear that this conflict dwarfed World War One and Two. It couldn't be classified the same.

"No one is certain how The War started. One Father claims it was the fault of Mexico. Another believes it was North Korea. The most popular theory gives the guilt clause to India.

"Or whatever those countries are called now.

"I'm sure the countries that used to be India, Mexico, or North Korea would blame other countries. Naïvely, perhaps some would teach their children that Trujohn started The War. Of course, they'd still know our nation as The United States of America.

"It's funny to think Trujohn-Fatherland was ever called The United States. I wonder if it was changed when people saw the irony of referring to anything as united.

"Trujohn isn't necessarily divided—not in the sense that the rest of the world is. We are all joined under the rule of The Father. It is perfect as it is today. And yet, The Fatherland has remained at least partially split since the rule of The Great Father, the last American President.

"The Fatherland contains three Divisions. Eastland is known for its strong foot in the government. Many Fathers were born in Eastland. Nearly all politicians and police officers hail from the East. 

"On the other side of the country lays Westland. Westland crafts all sorts of technology to be sent to Eastland for political use. They also create any forms of entertainment.

"We live in the Midlands. Famous for farming and produce, Midland intellect is mocked by East and Westlanders. We have but one college in our Division. While Carthowa University may be known as a joke when compared to Westland schools such as Yaldue and Nornelle, or Eastland Vardcal and Mitent, to me, it is paradise.

"Growing up, books meant an escape. I strove to learn all I could. I devoured any article I could about the world after The War, learning about what is remembered about the other countries, discovering their faults.

"As children, we believe whatever our parents tell us, gleefully gulping down their words. We take every statement they make as undoubtable truth. When we reach our teen years, often we begin to rebel simply for the sake of rebelling. We begin to question the truths we've accepted. It is only those of us who are truly wise that don't fall into a pit of doubt. The cleverest of us all know better than to question. We will only find problems if we seek them out. It is neither our responsibility, nor our right to search for problems in our society. To do so is to undermine the rule of The Father.

"It is our duty as citizens of Trujohn-Fatherland to understand that our rules are in place for a reason. It is those of us who obey and maintain order that will truly aid The Father and our country.

"It's likely that many of you will find my words hypocritical. As I look out into the audience now, I see only six other young women before me. Yet here I stand, forgoing my biblical duty as a woman.

"But I am no hypocrite. I do not strive for equality of sexes as women of the Before had. I understand my place, but it is my duty to find where I fit within it.

"It is not hypocritical that I attend Carthowa. It's not illegal for woman to obtain a higher education, simply discouraged as attending college means forgoing the right to marry and the duty of child rearing.

"It's out duty as citizens to serve the Fatherland to the best of our abilities. The true sin would be for me to not attend college, only to marry and disappoint my husband when he discovers what I already know: I am not suited for housework, untidy, not particularly nurturing, and unable to so much as cook an egg, it would be a disservice to the country for me to spend my time as a housewife.

"But for whatever the reason you choose college, we can not deny that Carthowa was a brilliant place to spend the last four years of our lives. Here we learned how to better ourselves, and how to give back to Trujohn.

"And what a time for us to graduate! We are the class of two thousand-five hundred. We are the generation the Great Father waited for.

"As we all know, the only way to stop The War was to cut off all contact with the outside world. What was then America locked its borders. So did all other countries. This was the only way the world leaders of the time could see to prevent more international violence.

"The leaders agreed to wait until all memories of the Before had faded to reunite the world. The Great Father redesigned this great country and now it is ready to meet the outside.

"We are a part of a new era for Trujohn-Fatherland. We can never forget how lucky we are to have been born in such an amazing country, during such an exciting time. We will get to witness what the Great Father could only imagine: when one young person from each country will be chosen to represent their homeland and discuss a possible future in which our world will no longer be divided.

"While we in the Midlands know that only a bright student from an Eastland college will be chosen for this honor, not one of our own, we can still remember that we are a part of the most important year Trujohn has seen since the Great Father took power. We will anxiously wait to see who our representative will be, and pray they reflect the core values of Trujohn.

"So, my fellow graduates, as you leave Carthowa and go about your lives as honorable citizens, I pray you remember my next words to you. Whether you are a farmer, butcher, etcetera, or if you are selected to join the East or West Divisions, may your service to our country be huge.

"Hail our Great Fatherland, and may the Father find favor in each and every one of you. Thank you."