Chapter 12 - Late night conversations!

Start from the beginning

"Thank you so much Manik for such a yummy meal!" I said with a smile.

"You're most welcome!" He replied as we carried on walking along the beach.

"You're a really nice guy!" I said softly.

"Excuse me?" He asked taken aback.

"I mean it! You're genuinely a really nice guy! Any girl will be lucky to have you as her life partner. Manik you're so polite, kind, and caring! We don't get to see that in many boys!" I explained.

"Thank you? No one has ever praised my personality this much! It's always been Manik you play amazing cricket, Manik you play amazing football, Manik you cook so well and along those lines!" He said with a smile.

"Well I'm glad I was the first one then!" I said proudly.

"But Nandini you're amazing too, and I'm not saying this because you've praised me so I should praise you too! I genuinely mean it when I say that you're an amazing girl. Smart, intelligent, respectful, confident, and pretty too ofcourse! You're the perfect example of beauty with brains!" Manik said with a smile and I blushed at his compliments.

"Thank you so much for that Manik!" I said as I stood still in my place.

"So this is it now, yeah?" He said quietly as he stared at the sea.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Well we'll soon tell our families that we don't want to get married, and then you'll be on your way and I on mine." Manik said quietly and that's when realisation hit me. Of course, we were only doing this because we both had made an agreement. This was all just a give and take deal. I attended the party with him, and in return he would say no to the relation. Our acquaintance was nothing but a deal.

"Yeah I guess. So we tell them tomorrow? Well today as it's already past 12 am!" I said blankly.

"Yeah, the sooner it's done, the better it will be for us!" He mumbled.

"Hmmmm!" I mumbled. I didn't know what else to say. In fact I felt a little hurt at his words, the sooner it's done, the better it will be for us. What did he mean by that? It's almost as if he's running away from me, but that's what I want, right?

"But can I ask you for one more thing?" Manik said as he turned to look at me.

"Yeah sure!" I replied with a slight smile.

"A coffee! Can I ask you for a coffee?" He asked softly.

"Manik I...." I hesitated to give an answer. I wanted to say yes, of course, but I was trying to stay away from him. I can't get any closer to him.

"Please don't say no! You promised, remember?" He stated and that's when I remembered. The day he was released from the hospital, I had promised him if we ever bumped into each other I'd say hi and maybe sit down for a coffee.

"I had said if we bump into each other I promise to say hi, and maybe sit down for a coffee! Maybe!" I corrected him with a smirk.

"Ahhh yes, maybe!" He said a little sadly.

"So?" He further asked when I did not react to him.

"Hmmmm, why not! But after that we have to tell our parents!" I gave into his offer. I couldn't say no to that cute puppy face. OMG! Nandini, you're doing it again! Control yourself girl!

"Yeah sure!" He said quietly and we then made our way to the car and left for home. It had been an adventurous night to say the least. From going to the party, then the operation, and then the yummy food at Juhu. I only had one person to thank for such a fun night, Manik!