18 - Evening Party at Salender Mansion - Part 4

Começar do início

I let my head glide to the side and patiently wait for his lead. As expected it comes with sturdy and steady movements. I sway gently in his arms, but as we begin to move I let my movement flow around him like water around a rock. No matter how sturdy, I will not lose. I will overflow, I will challenge you.

I feel his grip tighten a bit, but he never stops, he never hesitates and his form doesn't drop even a little bit.

"So, where were we?" I finally decide to bring up the matter we came out here for. Though the subject we are about to breach is much to serious for the sweet waltz currently playing. I feel a jolt. It appears he got busy competing with me and temporarily forgot.

"...Why are you avoiding Gilbert?"

He went directly for the throat. I take a moment and consider how to word it. Again, if I just throw about accusations then he might not believe me.

"...He gave me a drink and doesn't seem to let up on the thought of having me drink it."

I went with the safe choice and give out as little information as possible while telling the truth.

"Why don't you?"

"It looks weird and smells weird. Is that not reason enough?"

He goes quiet for a few moments.

"Then why didn't you say no?"

"...He was going to give it to someone else..." I decided keep it with that. It wasn't a lie. He threatened to give it to the dog. Time for my question.

"Bertram is the son of a mistress, isn't he?"

"....he is..." Lionel responds with a frown.

I thought so. It would explain his clothing. It still doesn't really explain why he is here though.

"How did you find out?" He asks cautiously.

"I met him by coincidence on the way back from the powder room. He was dressed too well for a commoner or a servant, and a maid from your house was with him. Since he has traits from Lord Tepet, it was quite obvious. Why is he even at the party?"

Lionel clicks his tongue at my words.

"His mother kept insisting, so father gave in."

I didn't look at him. I knew enough from his fingertips pressing into my back like angered claws.

"She's trying to have him recognized and introduced to the public?"

I asked the question as gently as possible... but I probably didn't need an answer...

I slowly begin to understand why Lionel has such a horrible personality...

"Yes..."

It goes quiet between us at that. I have no more questions.

It is a rather bad situation. If Lord Tepet publicly declares Bertram his own, then Bertram becomes a possible heir. If I make an assumption on Lionel's poison knowledge then... that probably gives the reason the maid attempted to poison Bertram. It's a battle between the mistress and wife of whose child becomes the heir of House Tepet... and if I am not wrong, then Lord Tepet himself is ignorant about the situation and is letting himself be manipulated.

If anything, I was amazed that they had been able to keep everything quiet for so long. Even without meeting her, I am quite impressed with Lady Tepet's effort in killing off the rumors of Bertram's existence. Things like this become public secrets.

"I won't mention Bertram to anyone, I promise," I say out calmly. It was an act of grace. I didn't need the situation to get messier. Lionel would turn into an enemy the moment I messed up the careful balance his family is trying to uphold.

"...Thank you..."

Another few moments of silence spread between us, before Lionel asks something... unexpected...

"Lily, who have you fallen for?"

"I have not." My response was prompt and irritated as I lift an eyebrow at those words.

"I have no reason to fall in love." Not only are they cute little kids, but they would all abandon me for the heroine later.

"My love was unrequited after all." With Kenta too.

"I am not a fool." I have more important things to worry about. I only say part of the truths lingering in my heart, but it should be enough.

Lionel didn't respond for a while after that and focuses on dancing.

"I will see what's wrong with Gil's drink."

A surprising offer came from his lips.

"That would be a relief."

I accepted graciously.

---*---

As the dance ended Lionel loosens his hold slowly and then bows gracefully. By the time he leaves, I realize that I hadn't worried about the eyes around us during the dance. Well, a much more dire subject had been the focus of our dance.

After crushing Magdalin's little hope of 'Do you like Lionel-sama?', I ended my evening there.

As for Lionel... well... a big deal was made out of Gilbert's glass. It had definitely been poisoned.

Somehow Lionel ended up being used as an anti-poisoning tool again, though this time of his own free will. It was a gesture in return for me keeping silent. All in all, a satisfying deal for both of us.