III

Amethyst sat alone in the conference room, her back turned to the door. She scrolled through photos of her and Queen Aulea on her phone. While Amethyst smiled in photos, Aulea either kept a straight face, smiled only a little, or had a look of worry. Amethyst, stressfully running her hand through her light brown locks, sighed as a single tear threatened to fall.

        "I'm so sorry. I should've done better to protect you. I did it before, why couldn't I do it then?" Amethyst whispered to the photo.

        A click was heard and she turned around to see Ignis walking in. She turned back around and placed her phone face down. Ignis sat in the leather seat next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. Amethyst's green eyes stared into her son's eyes, Ignis getting his eyes from his mother.

        "...Have I failed as an advisor and a friend?" Amethyst asked in a whisper, the tears building up in her eyes. Ignis sighed.

        "I'm sure you were as amazing an advisor as you are a crownsguard." Ignis replied in the same tone. Amethyst shook her head, fighting the tears.

        "She was there...she was there and I didn't see her.. I could've taken her away."

         Ignis hadn't said a word. He only embraced his mom in his arms, comforting her the only way he knew how. He knew he was slowly succeeding when Amethyst broke down, losing the battle between her and her tears.

        "I've failed her. I've failed Regis and I've failed Noctis. He didn't even get to know his mother." Amethyst cried. Ignis just placed a hand on the back of her head, letting her let out almost everything she held inside.

        "What if it happens to Noctis and his father? Then what?" Amethyst asked.

        "I won't let that happen. As long as Gladio and myself are around, Noctis won't be going anywhere. It's the same for Dratos, Clarus, and father with his highness the king." Ignis reassured. Amethyst let go of her son. Ignis wiped away his mother's tears with his finger.

        "I promise." He finished. Amethyst nodded and got up, leaving the conference room. Ignis sighed, now being the only one in there. He took out his phone and dialed Gladio's number. Gladio immediately picked up.

        "I was just about to call you, Iggy. Where are you?"

        "In the conference room. My mother just left. Did you find out anything?"

        "We spoke to Dratos not to long ago. He showed us this shrine of the Queen in some hidden room. Turns out the woman I saw was her."

        "Hm.. I figured as much. Mum was breaking down because of it. What else?"

        "Apparently she developed schizophrenia when her marriage with Regis was arranged. She was kept in some room so she wouldn't feel followed or anything. Wouldn't really keep anyone out but..it was supposed to help. We see how far that went. She disappeared."

        "Schizophrenia? She was hearing voices? Hallucinations? Was it treated at least?"

        "Hallucinations, overwhelming fear, paranoia, maybe phychosis. Treatment? Not sure. Dratos didn't give us that info."

        "Hm..alright. Thank you. I'll see you in a while."

"Yeah."

        Ignis hung up the phone, putting it away in his pocket. He got up from the chair and left the conference room.

        Crowe sat on the top steps of the Citadel about an hour later. Nyx accompanied her, taking the spot beside her. They hadn't said a word to one another for a moment. They just stared off into the distance of Insomnia.