34. inside your mind

Start from the beginning

"Is it about that old boyfriend?" He asked, Kat stared at him. A slow nod came from her head but she didn't know whether she meant it. She could see why he thought that but that's not what she thought about when she wrote it. "Twat." He muttered to himself before leaving the room like the others.

"Yes. Twat, indeed." She said to herself.

She played the song to herself a few more times before making her way down to the studio. George was already playing a beat, probably one he had pre-made while Ross fiddled around on his bass.

"Here she is, the next paul McCartney." Ross beamed as she walked in, she winked at him before making her way over to George.

"Listen to this." He tapped his lap so she sat on in without hesitation. Matty shot daggers at both of them which only Ross noticed as he sat next to him.

"Oi." Ross nudged him. "Leave off." He muttered, Matty just rolled his eyes and let Ross know he was now in a bad mood.

George put a pair of headphones on Kat and grinned at what she looked like. The headphones were way too big for her head but he played the beat in them anyway.

Matty slouched on the sofa, arms folded like a child. George's knee was bobbing Kat up and down as she hummed the melody of her song to the beat that George had suggested.

"Oh my god George, this sounds amazing." She squealed, George grinned her up once again and placed his hand on her back.

"Get in there and try and it out." He tapped the bottom of her back and Matty flinched. Ross slapped him on the man tit to try and knock some sense into him.

Kat jogged into the recording corner, Matty leapt up and joined her. He got a pair of headphones and put them on her head, she couldn't stop smiling. He set up the music stand for her and placed the sheets on there.

"Good?" He held up his thumbs for her, he had never seen such light in her eyes as she stood there ready to show her work. "You look fit" he winked but she couldn't hear him. She just smiled and put her thumbs up.

"Can you hear me?" George asked, Kat's eyes turned to him and she gave him a thumbs up as well.

"Yeah. All good. Ask Matty what he just said." She demanded as Matty stood next to George.

"I said you look fit." He said into the microphone, Kat just let out a giggle but Matty was earning daggers all around. All of these boys were so protective of Kat and Matty was only just realising he wasn't the only one. Kat rolled her eyes.

George played the beat, letting Ross fiddle with his bass behind him. Matty sat next to George, watching Kat closely while George stared at his laptop and fiddled around with it all.

Kat sang the song as best she could, she had a nice voice. Matty watched her with such adoration, he couldn't believe she had written a song like this. He thought he had one over on George since he assumed he knew what it was about.

"Matty?" Kat suddenly said, his ears pricked up as did his head. "Can you sing it?" She asked, George looked up from his computer and then at Matty.

"That's a shout. We need some new material for our meeting with that label." George whispered to Matty. They hadn't told anyone about it yet, they weren't getting their hopes up.

"Uh, sure. I think I know it." He was genuinely nervous as Kat passed him the headphones and moved out of the booth.

Matty watched carefully as she took her place next to George and thankfully not on top of him. He sang the song, trying to remember how it goes but couldn't tear his eyes away from Kat and George. She was whispering things in his ear and he was returning the gesture, he looked as if he had just heard something groundbreaking.

"Um, is that good? I have a thing." He said, Kat and George's heads snapped back to him.

"Yeah, you sounded great. I'll try and mix some stuff" George accepted that Matty didn't care enough to stick around but Kat wasn't having any of it. She grabbed the microphone.

"What thing?" She asked, her eyes staring into him.

"A thing, with my brother and family." He stumbled around his words. She glared at him.

"Wow, you never mentioned it. Have fun." She sounded beyond passive aggressive and Matty didn't like the way it made George laugh. He stormed out of the studio.

He stomped into the kitchen and over to the fridge to grab a bottle of water in an attempt to cool himself down.

"I think George knows what it's about. It's gotta be something deep for her to write that kind of stuff." Adam suddenly said, making Matty jump.

"George doesn't know what it's about." Matty said confidently but Adam's face made him nervous.

"She said something about a night in the car and he was all like oh yeah that night. I dunno but they were talking about it." He shrugged, grabbing a bottle for himself just next to Matty. Matty slammed the fridge door shut, almost amputating Adam's arm. "What the fuck man?"

"He doesn't know what it's about." He growled before walking out of the house.