34. inside your mind

Kat stared at the piano, it was small but usable. She had just played a song that she had been working on for a while. It was quite unbelievable actually how dry of inspiration she had been while studying the subject and how free flowing this had been.

She ran over the chords again, humming the tune in her head but not daring to say the words out loud. As she closed her eyes, she imagined what she could do with it on her computer. The inspiration flowed through her just as she heard the squeak of a floorboard. Her head snapped and she saw all the boys stood in the doorway.

They had arrived back from Alice's late in the morning, Tammy had to go to see her family so Kat just stayed with the boys. She was going to go to the toilet but found a room with instruments. She couldn't help herself.

"Have you written a song Kit?" Matty asked, she shrugged which invited them all in. They all grabbed a chair.

"Can you play it for us?" Hann asked, she didn't say anything.

"Maybe I could produce it or something, unless it's meant to be acoustic?" George added. Matty hit him.

"It might be shit, you can't be offering those kind of things." He joked, Kat laughed and shook her head.

"I just spent a few hours on it, it's not even nearly done but I guess I could play it."

(I've changed the pronouns slightly to kind of make it more relevant hopefully)

"Are we awake?
Am I too old to be this stoned?
Was it her breasts from the start?
They played a part
For goodness sake
I wasn't told you'd be this cold
Now it's your time to depart and I just had a change of heart
I'll quote on the road like a twat, you'll wind your way out of the city
Finding a girl who is equally pretty won't be hard
Oh, I just had a change of heart
You smashed a glass into pieces
That's around the time I left
When she was coming across as clever
Then she lit the wrong end of a cigarette
You said I'm full of diseases
Your eyes were full of regret
And then she took a picture of her salad
And put it on the Internet
And she said, I've been so worried about you lately
You look shit and smell a bit
You're mad thinking you could ever save me
Not looking like that
You used to have a face straight out of a magazine
Now you just look like anyone
I just had a change of heart
I feel as though I was deceived
I never found love in the city
I just sat in self-pity and cried in the car
Oh, I just had a change of heart
Then she said, I've been so worried 'bout you lately
You were fit but you're losing it
You played a part, this is how it starts
Oh I just had a change of heart"

Kat finished and pulled her fingers away from the piano. They all stared at her but Matty was the first one to move, he nodded his head slowly.

"Well, it's not shit." He confessed, she shrugged.

"It's rushed, like a first draft or something" she excused but they all shook their heads.

"It sounds like something Matty would write if I'm honest" Adam chuckled, Kat shrugged again. Matty had learnt it was what she did when she didn't know what else to say or whether she disagreed on something.

"You should come downstairs to the studio and record it as a demo. We can have some fun with it." George suggested. Adam's eyes lit up.

"I can already hear the guitar riff." He walked out of the room, presumably to get a guitar. Kat let out a laugh, no one had ever shown so much interest in her music.

"I'm going to go for a beat. Write it down somewhere and we'll sort something out." George stared into her eyes with such pride. Ross went with him which left Matty.