1

-PART 1-

Night Changes - One Direction 

"We're only getting older baby. And I've been thinking about you lately." 

ISABELLA

APRIL, 2015

The loud noises from the honking cars bellow flutter up towards the open window. An orchestrated symphony filling up the small space of the cramped apartment. Open suitcases are scattered across the living room floor. Unwashed and washed clothes mixed amongst one another, taking it's place across the fuzzy carpet. 

I sit on the leather couch. My feet propped up against the seat, knees pulled up and towards my chest. I shut my eyes softly, allowing the busy sounds of Berlin to take over my senses. Four months had gone by too quickly. Much too quickly. It was hard to believe that my time here was over. Even with the extended month, I wasn't ready to go home. Back to London. 

The internship had been more than what I expected it to be. It was hard, time consuming and overwhelming, but so good. It was what I needed. The experience that I craved to better my craft. I thrived upon it. Soaked up every bit of knowledge that I could. Thankful that language was not a barrier, but also glad that I was able to pick up some German. I felt cultured. Grown - mentally and physically. My hair reaching dangerously close to the small of my back. My mind filled to the rim with information - business and personal related. 

A low buzzing from my phone startles me from my own thoughts. I slide it open, unlocking the home screen. A ghost of a smile plays at my lips as I read over the message. 

Picking you up for our last dinner in Berlin. Be ready in ten. 

I exit out of the message, locking the phone in the process. I get up from my spot on the couch, stretching my arms above my head. Glancing down at my attire, I realize that I was not ready to go out. Far from it, actually. The thin boy shorts and oversized flannel not entirely appropriate. 

Quickly pulling the first things I saw, I slip on the thin deep navy printed dress. Keeping my hair down, I spritz it with some hairspray. Patting down the few loose baby hairs around my temple. With a final spray of body mist, I deem myself acceptable for the outside world. 

A few knocks at the front door, I  slip on a pair of sandals and a thicker anorak jacket. I open the door with a smile. "Hello." 

Deep blue eyes look down at me. A quirky smile plastered on his lips. "Hello Iz. Ready for your last dinner in Berlin?" His thick German accent asks me. His eyes gentle and smile kind.  

"I think I'm ready." 

"Then lets go. The car is waiting for us downstairs." 

I follow him down the steps and towards the front lobby. The late April sun beginning to set, casting a glow throughout the apartment lobby. I follow my tall friend, out the doors and towards the waiting town car. He opens the door, allowing me to slide in first. He the follows suit, his leg brushing briefly against my bare knee. 

The drive is silent and before I know it, we are pulled up in front of a fancy restaurant. He opens the door for me, letting me out. "You look lovely tonight." He compliments me gently, earning a small thank you in reply. 

His arm brushes against my own as we walk up towards the front door. A young hostess greets us. Her eyes skimming over the rather attractive man that stood beside me. "Schmidt." He tells her. His voice smooth like butter. She blushes slightly, nodding her head towards the far corner. 

"Your party is already here." We thank her briefly before walking towards the back of the restaurant. 

There's a small round table for three near the back. The dimly lit dining room creating a soft ambiance throughout the restaurant. I smile at the rest of the party - a blonde haired beauty in a form fitted dress. She looks up at us, as if she could sense our incoming presence. Her deep red stained lips form into a sweet smile. Her light eyes shining under the dimness of the low lighting.