35

I, I will be king. And you, you will be queen. Though nothing will drive them away. We can beat them, just for one day. We can be Heroes, just for one day. 

Heroes - David Bowie 

ISABELLA

Irritation, hurt, and heartbreaking sadness flood over me like a tidal wave. It seeps itself into every inch and fibre of my bones, suffocating me with it's weight.

Harry is sat beside me. His hands occupied with my own, as he holds the trembling limbs in his firm grasp. He continues the soft mantra of, "It's going to be okay. We'll figure something out," but I can't help but question it. Is it going to be okay? Will we figure something out?

The ignorance that I've grown to know tells me that it will be okay. That something will happen, we'll figure it out, and my father's distaste will be defeated. But the pessimistic realist that I've become to be knows better. She knows her father and the power that he has in this city. He's a real life Bart Bass. He knows the power money has over this city, and he is anything but short of it. He's a smooth talker; charming. I have no doubt that he is true to his word and will do everything that he can to ruin my life.

I don't know what I ever did to him to receive this treatment. We were close growing up - well, as close as our family could be. He mostly kept to his job. Business took up a lot of his time all throughout my childhood. I knew the toll that it took on my mother and their marriage. I know the toll it took on our family. But she too had become ignorant to it and immersed herself in the country clubs and gossip with the other socialites. She hid herself well behind the Maxwell name, leaving Natalia and I to fend for ourselves.

I knew the effect my decision to move to London had made on my family. I knew of my father's disapproval and displeasure. He wanted me to stay in New York and follow his footsteps in the family business - something he had hoped to give a son. But he had been stuck with two daughters, leaving me as his "successor" if you will.

I never wanted that life. I have my own dreams... desires. I am thankful for what he has worked for and given me, but that doesn't give him the right to tell me how to live my life.

I am done being a piece in his chess game.

But I'm scared. I'm scared of his power and his capabilities. I'm scared of what he could do and will do; what he has already done.

When I came over tonight, the last thing I thought I would hear from Harry was that my father had been here only moments before. I was shocked and scared, but mostly infuriated. He had a lot of nerve and absolutely no business to even step foot in this building. He had no business to even think about mine and Harry's relationship.

But that was how Franklin Maxwell was. He didn't care about anything other than himself. My life and decisions didn't matter. What mattered was what he wanted for me. Harry Styles isn't what he wants for me, but all that I could ever dream to have. There was no way that I was going to risk losing Harry now that he was back. And I know that Harry felt the same.

He had been a nervous mess when I walked inside his unlocked apartment door. He was walking back and forth. His hand in his hair, tugging at the end of his curls, while his other was busy pulling at his lip. He was mumbling to himself. His brows furrowed in distress.

I asked him what was the matter. He jumped so high I thought he was going to hurt himself. It took a moment of convincing, but he told me. He was straight to the point, not bothering to beat around the bush. He was adamant that he didn't want to hide this from me, but didn't know how to tell me. Regardless, I was happy that he came to me right away about it. This wasn't something we were going to ignore or run from. We did that already and it only brought broken hearts and destruction.