44

HARRY

The pungent stench of antiseptic ripped through my senses like a tidal wave. I had been woken up by a throbbing pain in my lower abdomen but it was the incessant chatter that kept me awake. I pretended to still be asleep, so that they wouldn't know that I was ease dropping.

From what I could tell, Ben, Kit and Maze were all in this room with me. I tried to hear the sweet voice of my girl, but judging by the harsh whispering, she wasn't here.

"What are we going to tell him when he wakes up?"

"Nothing. We say nothing."

"Sure- because that's a brilliant idea! His girlfriend is checked in and we're just going to fucking hide the fact?"

I had to bite on the inside of my cheek to not say anything. I wanted to hear what was wrong with Isabella, but knowing that something happened to her, had my body shutting down and my mind running rampant.

"We shut up and not say anything until your wife comes back, y'hear me?"

I could recognize the anger in Kit's tone of voice. It was fucking killing me inside; not knowing what was going on.

"Fine," Ben sighed. "But it'll be your arse on the line if he's angry we didn't say anything."

I held back my smirk. All of their fucking asses were on the line for promising to withhold whatever piece of information they were holding back. I hated not knowing things, more so when it involved my girl.

There was a knock at the door. I kept my eyes shut and evened my breath, hoping that whoever that was would be the answer to my worry.

"How's he doing?" Jaz. Wherever Jaz was, Isabella was not too far behind.

"Still asleep... How's Izzy?"

Fuck. That wasn't what I wanted to hear. I wanted... no, I needed to hear the sweet voice of Izzy. I needed to know that she was okay. I needed to know that the Savino's didn't get to her and that she was alive... healthy... and okay. I hated not knowing what was going on. I hated knowing that I was in the fucking hospital. I couldn't remember much. My brain was foggy with everything that happened. I remember seeing her, talking to her, and feeling her warmth in my hands, but I don't remember when that happened. I don't remember if it was before or after I got fucking shot.

"She's okay. She's awake and then goes back to sleep. But when I talk to her – she's not okay. She's out of it... numb. This really did a toll on her."

"Makes sense... I've never seen her like that before," replied Ben. "She was a right mess."

"Wouldn't you be too if what happened to her happened to you? I'm not surprised at all. I just..." she let out a heavy sigh, "I hate that this is happening to them. They don't deserve none of this. Why can't they both just be okay, and live their lives happily. None of this makes sense and none of this is fair. To either of them... not fair at all."

I could hear the way her voice quivered and it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that she was crying. This did nothing to calm my nerves or my senses, and before I knew it, I was opening my mouth to speak.

But the voice that I heard didn't sound anything like my own. It was deeper and raspier than usual, and with each word I spoke, it broke.

"Wha-what's h-happened," I asked as I kept my eyes shut. I tried to open them, but my head felt too heavy and my eyes hurt like hell.

"Harry," Jaz's voice was louder than before. Her hand wrapped itself around my own, intertwining our fingers together. "Hey, it's me. Jaz... can you open your eyes for me?"