You're probably wondering why she's even gathering materials from the river. You see, Wen Meixiao wanted to make a demonic bow, but she was banned from the blacksmith. However, there were many fights uphill since the clan there had their practices by the river, and if Wen Meixiao was lucky, sometimes a whole sword would come washing down. She would then pick the sword apart and reuse it for her bow.

The trainees would practice in the afternoon, so counting the distance by water, any leftover materials would reach her in the morning.

Grabbing a floating arrow, she put it back on her bag when she heard a voice.

"Wen Meixiao! What are you doing here again!" She looked over and it was Wen Chao, along with his bodyguard 'Wen Zhuliu' and his many concubines.

"Mind your own business." She spat back, continuing her search, splashing around the water that only reached her knees.

"My, you sure are pathetic, scavenging for things like a hobo." He laughed. "Let's go."

The younger ignored him, knowing very well he was wrong. The only reason she didn't argue back was because there were actually valuable things that she actually found. Pieces of jade and sometimes even amulets and armoury. Of course, she would never tell Wen Chao that, then she would have competition scavenging.

"Father, did you know that girl is out scavenging again? How disgraceful!" Wen Chao blabbed to Wen Ruohan, the clan leader, who was sitting on his desk. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Don't worry son. We decided to let her be wed and then her husband's clan will have to take her in, away from us." He sighed.

"Great! Did anyone sent a letter yet?"

"We've sent some to the Jiang clan, the Jin clan and others, but so far it seems that their sons aren't available."

Wen Chao groaned. "Then what about that letter over there?"

Wen Ruohan opened it. "Dear Leader Wen, do you have a good-for-nothing in your clan? So do I! How about we pair both of them together? I know Nie Huaisang will never find a lover anyways. From Nie Mingjue."

The two looked at each other with a wicked smile. "Perfect."

Her arrow flew fast, hitting the target right on. "Do you think I can do the 'split the arrow'?" Wen Meixiao asked Wen Ning, who only shrugged. She shot the arrow again, only missing by millimetres. "Ugh!!!"

Wen Meixiao was an avid archer since her cultivation skills were poop. She figured she didn't need to learn cultivation if she was going to craft an evil bow.

They were currently at Qinghe Nie sect, preparing for this year's Archery contest. Every year they held it in different sects, and the only reason Wen Meixiao was allowed to come this time was to meet her 'potential' husband, otherwise she was not allowed to leave the sect.

Wen Ruohan told her she was to be wed with someone from the Nie clan. Wen Meixiao knew no one from the Nie clan except for Nie Mingjue and thought that everyone was strong as manly as him. So she agreed to go to meet her soon to be husband.

However she was let down as she realized she was marrying Nie Huaisang, a coward. She avoided him as much as possible and spent her time exploring and practicing archery with Wen Ning. It was her first time outside of The Nightless city and she was so exhilarated.