Part 4

Clash with Lieut-Governor

Rainsford and de Carteret clashed over the latter's release of a sailor accused of having piloted a Spanish privateer,sending Rainsford into a rage and off to the Privy Council to seek their support. He failed to get it and was recalled from the island. Jermyn decided that his best policy would be to appoint de Carteret once more as Lieut-Governor.

Not only did this put all the power in Sir Philippe's hands, he reinforced his position by appointing family and friends to all the important positions. His cousin Helier de Carteret was Attorney-General, his brother Elie, Solicitor-General. Sir Philippe himself was either Receiver of the King's Revenues or had installed a tame supporter. Three of his cousins and a nephew were Jurats, at least seven of the 12 Militia captains were de Carterets, two more were nephews and one his brother-in-law. And he sought to ensure a dynastic grip on control of the island by getting the King to promise that he would be succeeded as Bailiff by his brother Elie and then his nephew George. The Civil War ensured that things did not work out quite as Sir Philippe had intended, but George did become Bailiff in due course and was followed by nine of his descendants. For all but ten of the 200 years following Jean Herault's death there was a de Carterer or Carteret in charge of the island, the exception being during the period of Parliamentary rule.

His and his family's domination of the island's government caused much resentment and jealousy, not least in the Dumaresq and Lempriere families, which as owners of the senior fiefs not in de Carteret hands, had been used to a significant involvement in island affairs.