Part 7

Civil War

Jersey, was, as it still is, staunchly Royalist, and when the Prince of Wales was sent out of the country after Naseby in July 1645, he and his court spent some months there before going on to France. During his stay in Jersey, the Prince was entertained, at considerable expense, by Sir George de Carteret, the Lieut-Governor and Bailiff, who later won great fame for his valiant defence of the Island against the large fleet which the Republicans sent to subdue the Jerseymen.

Sir George, who was the grandson of Sir Philippe de Carteret of St Ouen and Sark, and Rachel Poulet, had married his first cousin, Elizabeth, second daughter of Sir Philippe, of St Ouen, and Anne Dowse. Sir George's eldest son, Sir Philippe, married Jemima, elder daughter of Edward Montague, first Earl of Sandwich. He was knighted in the ancient Castle of Mont Orgueil in Jersey, for his loyalty to the Crown during the Civil War, by King Charles II when that monarch visited the Island after the Restoration.

Sir Philippe was compelled to leave Sark, and retired to his Manor of St Ouen. Sir George agreed to organise an expedition to recover Sark. Between them they soon gathered together a small expeditionary force, which was divided into two parts, one under the leadership of an officer called Lane, and the other under Chamberlain. The expedition set out from Jersey with the intention of making a landing in Sark under cover of darkness, so that a surprise attack might be made on the superior forces in that Island.

The rendezvous was fixed for the night of the 26 May 1644, at L'Eperquerie des Congres, and the tiny force set out from Jersey to cross the always swelling Channel separating the Islands. The night was dark and stormy, and on the crossing the ships lost touch with one another and only Lane's party reached the appointed place.

The Parliamentarians, possibly in anticipation of an attack, had posted sentries at L'Eperquerie, and when Lane and his men approached the shore and attempted to land, they challenged them, and receiving no satisfactory reply, fired a couple of shots at random at them. Lane's men, who had had a very uncomfortable and rough crossing from Jersey, and were soaked to the skin as well as being seasick, and not knowing the strength of the forces opposing them, decided that discretion was the better part of valour. They made no attempt to land and, turning about, sailed back to Jersey.

Chamberlain, on the other hand, seems to have been made of sterner stuff. He sailed into Dixcart Bay, and after landing on the beach without opposition, advanced with his small force up the valley of Dixcart to the interior of the Island.

The men surprised the commander of Sark in bed, took him prisoner, and disarmed, without bloodshed, all those who opposed them. It was not until daylight that some of the inhabitants signalled for help to Bramsby, who happened to be cruising in the vicinity of the Island. Bramsby put a strong, armed party ashore, and it was then that the Jerseymen were overpowered.