Part 3

Elizabeth Castle

It soon became apparent that he saw himself as the island's overall supremo, and he became involved in matters which would previously have been the sole responsibility of the Governor, ordering the strengthening and doubling the size of Elizabeth Castle. He wrote:

"The slothfulness of the labourers doth impose on me intolerable pains. I husband the King's money by overviewing the works daily."

There were constant fears of invasion by the French or Spanish and in 1628 de Carteret was captured by privateers from Dunkirk while returning to Jersey in the Diana with soldiers and stores for the Castles and £400 to pay the troops, and was held hostage until he paid a ransom. Money was a constant problem for him, as he struggled to improve the island's defences. At one point he claims to have paid over £2,500 out of his own pocket to pay the garrison and he had great difficulty getting the money promised for the improvements at Elizabeth Castle.

Although de Carteret got on well with Peyton and was his Lieut-Governor on occasions, his replacement Sir Thomas Jermyn never set foot in Jersey and de Carteret was forced to deal with his lieutenant, Captain Francis Rainsford, who made himself exceedingly unpopular in the island. He had the Constable of St Lawrence imprisoned for refusing to provide a garrison for St Aubin's Fort.

o