Part 8

New Seigneurs

The de Carterets are no longer the Seigneurs of Sark. In 1715 Sir Charles, who was also Seigneur of St Ouen and Bailiff of Jersey, found himself in financial difficulties and obtained permission from the Crown to dispose of his Seigneury of Sark. Before he could do so, however, he died, but his heir, Jean, who inherited the debts, continued with his predecessor's plans.

Sir Charles de Carteret, who had been born in 1679, and baptized at St Margarets, Westminster, on 4 June of that year, with the Duke of Monmouth and King Charles II as his sponsors, had the strange experience of being knighted at the age of eight, by his Royal Godfather, on 25 October 1687.

He was subsequently appointed a Gentleman of the Privy Chamber, and at his death was buried in Westminster Abbey.

Between him and Helier, the first Seigneur, four illustrious de Carteret's, all named Philippe, had been Lords of Sark. The descent had come from father to son, and covered a period of 133 years. Sir Charles had never married, and Jean, his kinsman, who was later to become Baron of Hawnes and 1st Earl Granville, while retaining the Seigneury of St Ouen, disposed of Sark to Colonel John Johnson, who died apparently without issue, for in 1721 the Seigneurial rights were again sold, this time to James Milner, who paid £5,000 for it.

s