Part 5

Philippe de Carteret

In 1579 Helier's son Philippe was 26 and still a bachelor. He was wise, discreet, honest and a strong man, we are told, and was so esteemed by his father that Helier, wishing to return to his Manor at St Ouen, had placed him in charge of Sark.

Philippe, doubtless feeling that a wife would be an asset to him in continuing his father's work in Sark, began to look around him, and eventually settled his choice on Rachel Poulet, daughter of Sir George Poulet, Captain of the Castle and Governor of Jersey. The Poulets were a distinguished family. Sir George's brother was Sir Amice Poulet and among their ancestors were numerous knights and nobles.

Helier, seeing certain advantages in an alliance between the House of St Ouen and the Castle, encouraged his son's suit, and himself approached the Governor on Philippe's behalf. Sir George also favoured the alliance, and having discussed it with his wife, who also gave her consent, the betrothal was announced.

The marriage was celebrated at Mont Orgueil Castle, Jersey, on 10 January 1580, by the Reverend Mr Walker. It was a splendid affair and a description of it has been included by Syvret, the historian, in his chronicles of the Channel Islands.

The Seigneur of St Ouen, his wife, Philippe and Amice de Carteret, Philippe's younger brother, and their attendants set out early in the morning from St Ouen. All the Seigneur's people had gathered before the main gate of the Manor, with their large pieces of artillery and their arquebuses, while 18 ensigns were deployed with their drums beating.

The artillery and the arquebuses were fired "in great triumph and good order", and when the salute was finished, the wedding party left the Manor and rode to St Peter's church. At the church all the parishioners of St Peter and all those from the nearby parish of St Brelade awaited them with their artillery, arquebuses and drums beating, and another salute was fired with equally great triumph and good order.

It was a triumphal progress all the way across the Island for the people of the parishes through which they had to pass: St Lawrence, St Helier and St Saviouur, greeted them in the same way. In the town there were scenes of great rejoicing and festivity.

From the Mont de St Helier, the de Carteret party went to Samares Manor, for Jean Dumaresq, eldest son of Jean Dumaresq, Seigneur of Vinchelez and Bailiff of Jersey, had chosen the same day to marry Esther de Saumares at the Castle with great solemnity.

A short time after the ceremony Philippe took his bride to Sark and established her at Le Manoir, the valley opposite running down to Dixcart being their garden. Three children were born to them there: Philippe on 18 February 1584; Elie in the following year; and Rachel on 8 October 1589.

Philippe, who died in 1643, married Anne, daughter of Sir Francis Dowse of Nether Wallop, Hampshire, and had seven sons, Philippe, Francois, Peuton, Zauch, Gedion, Edouard and Dowse, and three daughters, Margaret, Anne and Elizabeth. Elie, who died in 1640, married in Sark on 8 June 1608, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Hugh Dumaresq, of St Martin. Their son Aymes was born in Sark on 26 April 1612.

Rachel married Benjamin La Cloche, Seigneur of Longueville, and their daughter Rachel, born in 1619, married Helier de Carteret, son of Peter de Carteret and Judith Dumaresq. This Helier, who was Attorney-General of Jersey and Seigneur of La Hougue, died in 1668.

These few examples show how very involved the inter-relations of the leading families of Jersey became after a time.

When Philippe had taken charge of Sark as attorney for his father, he soon realised that the rapidly expanding community would prosper only if law and order were established. Although Sark was technically a Fief, and he was only acting Seigneur, he decided that it would be to the advantage of all if the Tenants were given a share in the government of the Island.

Among the first immigrants who had crossed to Sark with Helier de Carteret was his first cousin, Edouard de Carteret, adopted son of that other Helier de Carteret, Bailiff of Jersey. Edouard had had considerable legal experience in Jersey. After serving in many parochial offices he had risen to be the Attorney-General.

Edouard was, therefore, unanimously chosen by the Tenants to be the first Bailiff of Sark. They also appointed as Jurats Julien de Carteret, Colas Cristin, Richard Poingdestre, Jacques Dolbel, Jehan Hotton, Raulin Vaudin, Clement Hacquoil, Guilaume Chevalier, Francois Le Couteur, Pierre Le Brocq, and later two others, one of whom died soon after his election.

The procureur of the Queen, which was combined with the Procureur of the Seigneur, was Jean de Carteret. Edouard Gregory was Sergeant at Arms; Jean Vibert, Common Sergeant; Jean Hotton, Constable; Rollin Smith, Centenier; and Edouard Brayer and Thomas Paychin, Vingteniers.

The Island was divided into two districts, called Vingtaines. One was the north, the other the south.