Chapter 28: Throne (Pt 1/1)

After we discussed about our game plan last night, we started preparing. Two days after Plan B was created, we finally have everything we need to get things rolling. It relieves me that we are almost done, but it also scares me. The last few days we almost got caught a few times. I'm also pretty sure people are getting wind of what we are doing, which is not good. That just means we need to do this and do it now, and really hope it works.

We get the show on the road. We have everything we need in our packs and are ready for battle. For the most part anyway.

Hunt and I situate ourselves in this cart thing that is large enough for us to hide in, and Benny sneaks us into the HQ courtyard. Luckily, we get past the security just fine. It kind of worries me how easily we get in, but I have more important things to worry about, like not dying, for one. And also, if I die, Mist will kill me. I don't want to die once, let alone somehow die twice. Which I don't doubt Mist is capable of. She can do whatever she puts her mind to.

Benny gets us to a safe-ish place and lets us out.

"Good luck," he whispers.

"Thanks," Hunt says.

"Don't forget what we told you," I remind him.

He smirks. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'd be more worried about yourselves right now. You need to get moving or you'll miss your chance," Benny says.

After that he works his way back out. We sneak down hallways, ducking when needed to keep from getting noticed. We follow the directions that Benny wrote down for us to give us our best chance of not screwing things up because we took the wrong turn at Albuquerque.

The moment we've been waiting for is moments away. My heart races with anticipation and anxiety and a hundred other things. I say a silent prayer to myself.

"I see him. Right where he said he'd be," Hunt says in a hushed tone.

"You sure this is how we should do this?" I ask him.

"It's our best shot we got."

"Also, the riskiest," I state.

"What about any of this isn't risky?" he says.

"Good point. Just, don't die. My sister will be pissed. And you're also kinda growing on me too. So, don't die, okay?"

"I'll try, can't promise anything. Just in case, Ryder, if something happens, tell her I love her for me?" Hunt asks me with pleading eyes.

"Nothing's gonna happen."

"Just promise me," he insists.

"Okay, I promise. You gotta promise me the same."

"I promise."

"Well, let's kill this son of a bitch." I grin.

Hunt smirks. He inhales deeply. He sprints through the open doors. "Hey, bitches!" he yells.

All eyes fall on Hunt. That's my cue to start moving.

I sneak around in the hallway that circles the room while everyone is focusing on Hunt. A few rogues have already detained him, and they are walking over to the alpha to decide his fate.

I come to a set of open doors opposite from where I was before. I can't see Hunt or the rogues from here. A large chair that looks like a throne blocks my view. There is only a foot or so between the doors and the back of the chair. I crouch behind the chair and use the shadow it casts as cover.

The throne-like chair is painted gold and has an assortment of gems for embellishment. This guy has an ego problem. Did I mention this place looks like a throne room in a castle? Except with a lot less stone and more wood.