Ch. 1

"Happy birthday dear Lexi, happy birthday to you" my grandma and grandpa sing to me, while setting down a purple frosted cake in front of me. Today's my eighteenth birthday, what an age to be. Everyone says being eighteen is so fun, but I have a feeling it will feel as if I am any other age I've been before.

"Thank you guys" I smile after blowing out the candles that are on my cake. "You're welcome sweetheart, and here's a gift your grandfather and I got you." My grandmother hands me a bag that is stuffed with tissue paper. I take the bag from her and curiously take the tissue paper out to see what they got me. The gift becomes visible and I see a mac book pro at the bottom of the bag. "Oh my god you guys shouldn't have" my shocked voice blurts out. I'm honestly surprised that they bought me this. I've wanted it for so long but we haven't had the money to afford one.

"Thank you so much" I stand up from the chair I've been sitting in all throughout dinner and give both my grandma and grandpa a hug. "You're welcome Lexi, we thought you'd be able to use it for school and all that editing stuff you like to do" my grandpa smiles at me.

We each eat a slice of cake, then put the rest of it in the refrigerator. "Alight kiddo, I think it's time we all get to bed. You've got a big and exciting day ahead of tomorrow, so you need to be well rested" my grandma says as she washes her hands. "Exciting" I scoff. She's talking about school, and exciting is the last word I would use to describe school.

This year will be my senior year and I'm going to a brand new school. My parents died in a car accident last year, so after junior year was over my grandparents decided it would be best if we moved. It's giving me a chance to have a 'fresh start'. In my opinion it's a bunch of bullshit. I didn't want to move or leave the friends I had. It's bad enough I lost my parents, and now I don't even get to see my friends anymore! I'm also not the most social butterfly out there, so making new friends won't be easy for me. And who wants to make new friends their senior year? That's just torture!

Morning

My alarm goes off, making me instantly wake up. The sound of death is filling my room until I finally hit the off button. Letting out a big sigh, I get out of bed and walk over to my closet. I guess since it's the first day of school I should dress nice. That's what all the students do, then we all dress like homeless people for the rest of the year.

I pick out a pair of dark blue jeans, a black and white stripped shirt, and my white converse. Just as I'm about to take my shirt off, I hear a knock at my door, "You up Lexi? You wouldn't want to be late on your first day" my grandmas voice speaks through my bedroom door. "I'm up, and yeah that'd be tragic" I reply, saying the last part in a sarcastic tone.

After putting my clothes on, I grab my new book bag that's laying on the ground in the corner of my room. Before swinging it over my shoulder I grab my new Mac book pro and put it in my book bag. I have a feeling I'll get on it during lunch since I'll most likely have no one to sit with. Who really starts their senior year at a new school? No one! I can already tell this year is going to be a shit show, just like every other year has been.

I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen. "I think I'm gonna go now, like you said, I wouldn't want to be late on the first day" I eye my grandma as I grab my headphones off the kitchen counter. "Alright sweetheart, have a good day" she gives me a small hug as I walk out the front door.

The misty air immediately hits my body as I start my walk to school. I look down at my phone and pick a song from my playlist. I wish I could drive to school like any other student does, but my grandparents can't afford to get me a car. I know it's not their fault, and I don't blame them because vehicles are expensive, but it just sucks having to walk to school everyday. Even when my parents were alive, they couldn't even afford to get me a car either.