Chapter three

Chapter 3

RILEY'S POV

Continuing flashback one year ago

Waking up, felt different. Warm and cosy wasn't something I was used, at least not for the last six months. I didn't want to open my eyes, afraid this was all some sort of dream. My body wasn't aching as much as it usually did, my head wasn't stuffed up and I didn't have that familiar chill down my spine that I hated.

The cold was the worst thing about being on the streets. Sure you miss comforts like showers, god you miss showers, food and TV. However if I was to pick one thing that made life absolutely gut-wrenchingly horrible it was the cold.

It was always cold, even in the summer time the night would get you. It wasn't my greatest move becoming homeless in September. It made every part of your body hurt, made muscles tight and bones stiff, like they might snap if stretched too far.

This would make you think that when the sun came out I was jumping for joy right? Not really. I'm not a weather man or anything but when you spend your days, nights and in-betweens outside you tend to learn a thing or two.

You learn things like when you go from extremes of hot during the day to extremes of cold at night you get thunderstorms. With thunderstorms you often get pretty ruthless showers of rain. It'll tell you one thing though; there are items of clothing that after showers like those never dry.

My ass hasn't felt dry in weeks.

I reluctantly open my eyes to see white. I was spread across a bed wrapped snuggly in a white duvet. I don't think I've ever felt anything softer than this before. I could see the rest of the room was quite plain, carpeted floors and dark timber furniture. I rolled over at the sound of beeping to find it coming from the clock on the bedside table.

I pressed a button on the top of the clock and it stopped beeping, next to the clock lay a piece of paper

I've left clothes for you in the closet, it's colder in the rest of the house, I left the heat on in your room but I'd wear the jumper if I were you. If you're not feeling well use the phone to call me, dial 1, but I'm in the kitchen which is the first room down the stairs on the right when you're ready.

-Cassie

Oh yes, Cassie. The girl who saved me. This was her house. I can't help but smile remembering last night, how red her face was pretty much the entire time. The way she tried not to look where she shouldn't. I don't quite understand her. Actually I don't understand her at all. Why on earth would a girl, no older than me, take me into her home.

I'm a bum, I could have been dangerous and she didn't even care, she left her bedroom door open for crying out loud.

She was gorgeous, even struggling to breathe I noticed it. Tall with tan flawless skin. Long brown hair that ran in curls across her shoulders. She had a beautifully round face with chocolate brown eyes. She was definitely my type if I had one. She was funny too, and obviously caring.

I stood up slowly, ignoring the dull pain in my chest. I walked to the wardrobe to find a bunch of t shirts, jeans, sweatpants and hoodies. They all looked about my size and were obviously new. They all still had tags on them. I'm definitely dreaming.

After staring at the stuff for a few minutes I put on one of the first t shirt and pair of sweat pants I could see. They fit perfectly, too perfectly. Staring in the mirror I could finally see what I had let happen to myself. My hair was matted beyond recognition and little bits fell into my eyes. I looked sickly pale in my face, my cheek bones stood out too much and the hair on my face had to go.