Chapter 14

Sitting in the car outside my house with Kane is awkward to say the least. Someone could cut the tension in the room, serve it on a platter and feed a family of five, it's that thick. My teeth are grinding while Kane is sitting quietly in the driver's seat. Someone put on the radio, this silence is deafening.

Our meeting with the others has long since ended. Now should be the time to go over the final details of our plan, simple as it may be, but I'm no longer certain Kane is trustworthy. Is he undercover like he said he was? Has this all been a lie? Maybe he's not on Clover's side but whoever his boss is and he's just seeing if this goes down well? If it does, maybe he'll be the next Clover in my life.

The thought makes my skin crawl.

"Your friends, none of them will be home tomorrow?" Kane finally asks, jumping to the plans rather than talking about the real issue at hand. It's funny he thinks I'll let that happen.

"Avoiding the topic, are you?" I hiss, facing Kane with a glare that he rolls his eyes at. "You realize after what happened I have no reason to trust you anymore?"

"Except you do because I told you in the beginning I will not risk ruining this operation for you," Kane answers without hesitation or guilt. He turns slightly in his seat, looking at me with those same cold eyes as the other night. Now I'm starting to wonder if he learned to do that just to get through his job, it would make sense. "I am helping in the ways that I can. Risking getting caught by Marsho, that could have ruined everything."

"I could have died!"

"And I'm truly sorry about that, but that doesn't change anything."

"No wonder you got this gig. With your attitude you fit in great with these assholes."

"Thank you. I work at it."

Oh, I hate that he kind of reminds me of myself.

I scoff. This is a waste of time. I don't know why I bothered coming. My trust in Kane has faltered and, once again, I feel completely alone. The weight of tomorrow, of my fate, rests purely on my shoulders. There's disappointment and annoyance festering in my gut.

My hand is reaching for the door when Kane suddenly says, "Listen, Micah, I understand why you don't trust me all that well anymore."

"Bravo." I grab the handle just as the lock clicks. I'm about to open it but Kane has more to say and it actually makes me stop.

"I hate to say it again, but you don't have many other options."

My finger catches on the lock, resting there while sweat starts to form on my brow...because he's right. Don't have many other options? Correction, I don't have any other options. My life is truly blessed.

"Neither of us are in the best position to help each other, but I am honestly doing what I can. If you leave, I will go through with our original plan, I swear it. If you stay, we can discuss things further and make sure we have the best solution. It's up to you...but know that I really am on your side."

I want to believe that, not because it's Kane but because I need someone. Someone has to have my back, someone who knows what's going on even if Kane isn't all that helpful. It's better than nothing. It's better than this bitter feeling of loneliness consuming me like a raging virus.

My fingers pick at the lock, tap against the handle then fall into my lap. It seems my mind has already made itself up long before I considered it. I'm desperate. Desperate enough to put my life and the lives of others in the hands of someone I don't completely trust because I have nowhere else to go. This is the newest of lows for me, the lowest of lows. I can't even call it rock bottom. It's the bottom of the rock at the bottom.