"I'm Joe"

RINNNNGGGG

         The school bell shrilled, signaling the end of class and the beginning of lunch. I rose from my seat, as everyone else did, grabbing my books from the desk. As I was walking out the classroom, the teacher stopped me in front of her desk.

          "Don't forget to join the online classroom tonight, all your assignments will be on there." she said as she smiled at me. I nodded in response and gave her a smile back. She stepped out of the way, letting me pass, and I continued out of the classroom. I was only in second hour, which was Senior English A, and was now heading to what they called 'A lunch'. A lunch was after second hour and B lunch was after third hour. I quickly walked to my locker, tucking my shoulders close to me and holding my books close to my chest so I wouldn't bump into anyone. I didn't realise how small the hallways actually were until they were filled with four grades at once. Arriving at my locker, thankfully it was a top locker and not a bottom locker, I put in the code and opened it.

          After Orchestra class, I unpacked all the folders and binders from my bag and set them in the bottom of the locker for easy access. I also shoved my jacket in the bag so it wouldn't take up all of my locker. I proceeded to slide my binder and book into my locker and grab my wallet that was hanging from one of the hooks by my bag. Unzipping it, I grabbed a five dollar bill for lunch and shut my locker. The halls were now less congested with everyone probably either in their next class or in line for lunch. I tightened my fist around my lunch money as I walked down the hallway and entered into the lobby. I saw a long line coming from the hallway, and next to the door, I saw when I left the office this morning. I continued walking, my legs in long stride, to the back of the lunch line. The lunch line was against a white brick wall and was separated with a rope from the other side of the hall where people were coming and going. To the right, the line went into the cafeteria, and to the left the hallway opened up and continued somewhere but I couldn't see where. The line moved slowly but constantly and I finally passed the doors into the cafeteria. The line split into two, and I went into the one on the left; it seemed to move quicker. I passed the first serving station and arrived at the second one. Today we were having the classic chicken nuggets with mashed potatoes and gravy, boy I hope its good. I grabbed a tray, got my food and sides, and continued to pay. I saw people entering a number into a little machine, so I set my tray down, took out my schedule, and looked to the top. Lo and behold there was a six digit number that I think was my lunch number. I entered my number into the pad and I'm guessing it worked.

          "You don't have any money in your account." the lunch lady that was running the computer said. I handed her my five dollar bill and watched her take out an envelope and a pencil. "What's your name?"

         "Cassandra Brown." she then wrote my name, lunch number, and the amount I gave her. She nodded at me that I was all good and I headed into the lunch room. There were people crowded around tables, the sound of talking and laughing filled the air. I looked around and saw that every table was basically filled, no thank you. Looking to my left, there was four big windows instead of walls that looked out into the hallway I saw while I was in the line. I saw little seats connected to the wall and decided that was my best bet. I walked to the doorways in the back of the lunchroom and went to the nearest seat that was unoccupied. The seat was cold and uncomfortable, but anything beats forced social interactions am I right. I began to eat my food, nothing to brag about, when someone walked up to where I was sitting. I quickly swallowed my food and glanced up to see who it was. My eyes met a tallish -- taller than me anyway -- skinny guy. He was wearing loose fitting black t-shirt with a blue and black flannel over it with a pair of dark jeans.

         "Is this seat taken?" he asked, pointing to the open space next to me. I shook my head and took a bite of another chicken nugget out of stress from the surprise visitor. He sat next to me, his hands resting on his legs. "I'm Joe by the way, I don't know if you remember me. You were already pretty out of it when I got to you earlier." I turned my head towards him, my eyes meeting his chocolate brown eyes. Oh SHIT. I silently choked a little on my chicken nugget before I swallowed it.

         "Yeah I do remember you." I said, scratching my head before sweeping a piece of hair behind my ear.

         "How are you feeling? The nurse made me go back to class after I brought you to her." he leaned back against the wall, his head still turned towards me. Brought me to her?

         "I feel fine, nothing too bad." I used my fork to stir the potatoes around as I glanced back and forth from Joe to my food. He had a rich brown/red coloured hair, which is to DIE for, and smooth pale skin. His lips spread into a wide smile, which forced me to notice these little indents on the top of his cheeks.

         "That fall looked pretty bad, so I'm glad you're feeling alright." my face slowly heated up at that comment, "I didn't catch your name?"

         "I'm Cas, I just moved into town." At this, the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Joe stood up and faced me once more.

         "Well, it was nice to meet you Cas." he stuck out his hand, I took it. "See you around." I let go of his hand and him mine. He then pivoted on his feet and walked into the sea of people heading to class.

         Lord give me strength.

Somebody to Love ~ Joe Mazzello High School AUजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें