Home Sweet Home

"Why are we moving to Michigan again?" I could feel the cold air seeping through the cracks of the car door. 

          "I got a really good job opportunity that I think will work out really good for us sweety." my mom answered as she slowed down to a stop at a red light.

          "Well, the snow might be pretty, but I don't like it." I crossed my arms and looked out the passenger side window, my breath fogging the glass. We have been driving since 3am, and it is now 4pm.

          "It might be a nice change of pace from the Georgia weather." 

           "The only thing I'll miss about the Georgia weather is the rain, that's it." 

     The light turned green and we continued driving straight. I could see buildings in the distance meaning a town was approaching us. Cars bustled back and forth into and out of businesses and restaurant parking lots. Mom slowed the car down to match the lower speed limit. 

          "Please tell me we are NOT going to live in the middle of town." I said, observing the movement of the town. 

          "Thankfully no, I got a house that's about twenty miles out of the town." 

     By the looks of it, this wasn't a city like Atlanta by any means. It was just a college town that had all the essentials, plus a little extra of course, of everyday living. We were passing fast food places, restaurants, mini marts, little shops, doctors, etc. 

          "Where is the school?" 

          "I think there's one in the middle of this town, but I think our house is not in that school zone. I have the address to the one you're going to. It's more out on the countryside, and it's smaller."

          "Cool beans." Back in Georgia I went to a quite large school and only had three friends. I really don't like people, so I don't mind not having friends and going to a small school, but it does get boring sometimes. We reached the end of all the businesses after about ten minutes. The houses were good sizes and actually had yards and were spread apart. 

     After driving a little longer, my mom pulled the car into a driveway. At this point, the houses had way more privacy and I liked it. This house was on the corner of two streets. The house was a cute little blue house with a garage. There was no 'front door', but there was a little porch that lead to a sliding door. Mom parked the car and turned the engine off. I opened the car door and stepped out, the cold air swirling around me. My stiff legs rejoiced in me standing up and walking as I followed my mom to the door that lead into the garage. She rustled through her purse, looking for the key I presume. 

         "Ah! Here it is." She took the key and put it in the bottom lock, and turned the handle. The door opened and we walked in. It was just a basic garage, small and you could see all the beams in the ceiling. On the right wall was a couple steps that lead up to a door that I assumed led into the house. That one was unlocked so we just walked in. As soon as you enter, to the left is the kicken and to the right is the dining room. I kicked my shoes off and walked further in the house. In about seven feet is the living room, and that's where the sliding door was. Straight ahead was a bedroom, I walked up to the door and looked in, it had a bed, closet, etc. To my left was a doorway, I went through and there were three more rooms. Straight in front of me was the bathroom, and then two bedrooms, one on the left and one on the right of me. I went to the left and glanced in, it had a washer and dryer in it. Nope. I walked to the right and into the last bedroom, it was small but hey, can't complain. 

          "Can you turn the heater on mom?!" I shouted from my new room. The house was warmer than outside but it was still chilly. I turned around and walked back into the living room. My mom was toying with the thermostat on the wall and that's when I heard the heaters kicking on. 

          "There we go! So, how do you like the house?" 

          "It's cute. I like it."

          "That's good! Let's bring in our stuff so it doesn't freeze out there." My mom chuckled as she walked towards the door to the garage, the garage door whirring as it opened.

          "Home sweet home."