15 - Evening Party at Salender Mansion - Part 1

Start from the beginning

Quite against my expectation he seems like a comfortable person to talk to compared to Lionel, had this been in private and not while we are surrounded by people. Father and Adela are standing behind me, but the pressure is still immense.

"Oh~" I can hear the disbelief in his voice at my words.

Normand isn't persuaded at all. My stomach knots together.

"Is that so?" Normand Tepet looks to my father with surprise in his eyes.

"Of course," father backs me up calmly. A figure of authority gave its word... and Normand Tepet seems to accept father's words and straightens up.

I'm safe for now...

"Hah! If the prince didn't need you I'd love to welcome you as Lionel's bride!"

No.

Furthermore, I can feel the creeping gazes of the people around us. I would like to end this subject. Still, with all the eyes being made at me and the rumors going on I am impressed Normand actually shows interest. I suppose it shows the effect of house Tepet fighting annual battles with our neighboring country Headal. That's right, yearly.

Lord Tepet turns his attention to my father with a bright and cheerful smile and pat father's shoulder with eager.

"The boy staggered to me after the toss, saying he wanted to learn to fight without weapons. I was certain Eric for once managed to throw him for a loop. To think it was the little Lady Lily."

My father's brows furrowed with slight irritation at the hand and brushed it off casually.

As I was a girl this was my first time meeting Lord Tepet up close, as well as seeing their exchange... but as expected, their relationship had a bit of bitterness, at least from father's side. That was the second time where father's reaction was obvious. Apparently our houses were always compared, and in the end House Tepet always got the glory. House Tepet had gotten the 'head knight' title for three generations in a row, and meanwhile House Celeste has had no opportunity for those last three generations to prove themselves.

Because of that it was hard for father to see Lord Tepet's lighthearted and over-friendly behavior. Father probably wanted to be seen as a rival and didn't feel he got that respect. Though, it may just be speculations on my part. It's how people at home would act.

"Excuse me, Lord Tepet... Father..." I curtsy with the hope of escaping the situation. Father nods, and after narrowing her eyes at me for a moment Adela nods too. She's stopped putting up an act towards me for the most part. I retreat towards the buffet table. I knew it was not appropriate to be stuck there, but I needed a moment to think and it was less likely anyone would interrupt me while picking out food.

---*---

First of all, why are Lionel and Lord Tepet's personalities so different? Lord Tepet is quite clearly an optimist. The same cannot be said for Lionel.

I find a little plate and sample the prepared hors d'oeuvre as I plan out my next move.

Magdalin? She is currently on the dance floor. She was invited by the son of Count Greenhall. Someone ranking over her. This would be unusual if it hadn't been because of Magdalin's status as my friend. Furthermore, after the incident earlier she's also the only close friend. If I became queen as planned then his family's connections would be secured if he marries her. His parents likely noted as much and sent him off on his way.

Back on the topic of Lionel and his father. I pause and quietly scan the crowd for Lady Jenet Tepet. She was a pretty tall woman, but also rather lanky. Apparently her body was giving in after giving birth to the three sons of house Tepet. However, I don't see any of the other boys, and the two youngest sons weren't actually mentioned in the novel though at least one of them should have been at an age where they could have affected the story.

As far as I recall the names of Lionel's brothers were Curtis and Reynold.

Would they have the same traits as Lionel or just the father?

I've never actually met them, but one of them is 7 and the other one is just 3 years old. Reynold, the oldest, should actually be here somewhere.

I move to the drinks section of the table and gaze over the many sweet drinks. They have tea, something called 'coffee', which was supposedly very bitter, juice from apples and some from berries... and... what's that?

My eyes fall upon a large bowl filled with a fruity looking liquid. It smells sweet like a mixture of fruit and tea, probably a couple more spices... it smells like alcohol.

I want to drink it.

It smells good and it looks good. Still, I can only gaze upon it... for this is the body of an 8 year-old. I step away from the table and decide to start searching a bit more seriously for Lady Jenet as I eat the treats I brought along with me.

---*---

Let's see, tall, brown haired and with eyes as dark as people from where I come from. Since Lord Tepet had worn a green pocket handkerchief I should be looking for a green dress, or a dark or light clad woman with green accessories.

I look around the room for Lady Tepet, but for some reason she doesn't appear among the many colorful dresses...

"Lily-chan," a voice disturbs my search and I turn to find Gilbert Salender. His brilliant red hair gives a warm glow in the candle light.

"You wanted this, right?"

Gilbert holds out a glass with the punch from earlier... but the color is wrong...

What did he do with it? I look back up to him and stare at his deep red eyes. They seem cold... though they're smiling. My stomach tenses.

"Is that not alcohol, Gilbert?" I ask redundantly, but expect an answer anyway.

His eyes drift to the side.

"It's not. It is just strawberry juice and sugar."

There is no way that is just strawberry and sugar!

There's a weird red color in there that's different from the punch too!

"...Then prove it. You take a sip first." I test out his reaction as a just in case. If he refuses to drink it, then he put something weird in it.

"Eh?"

...Gilbert's face just went white. His jaw dropped splendidly and he looks utterly astounded with my request.

...

He is quiet for way too long... no matter how you look at it, that drink is poisoned, isn't it?!

Why?!

I slapped him once because he tried clapped my butt, I do not deserve to die for that!

What is wrong with this child?! Someone find some more proficient parents!

Then he looks to the side again, and his eyes lock onto on one of the Salender family's dogs.

"Then, we can get old Trusty to taste it."

He mechanically turns towards the dog.

Eh? You're going to kill the dog?!

In a panic to save the innocent dog, I take the glass from him.

"There, now go. I'll take care of this."

I try to wave him off, but now he stares at me intensely.

He's waiting for me to drink it.

By the way, now where I am holding it I can smell it too... One gulp of this and I'll be dead.