4

Edith finished editing my face, as she called it, and handed me a mirror. I hardly recognised myself, The girl in the mirror looked like a woman, something I hadn't ever managed myself (I had always looked my age or a few years older, not as mature as this new person though). She had wild black curls, like Larkin's original hair before she dyed it blue, solid grey eyes, so translucent it was almost scary, and a hooked nose, Edith had also made me extremely pale and narrowed my lips and coloured them dark red.

"Oh my gods, what kind of witchcraft is this!? I can hardly recognise myself." I said in awe and looked at Edith, she shrugged, "My mother was a famous artist in Elsarb county, taught me loads, and then my older brother got into a fight and then I wound up here after stabbing the guys that went after him,"

I couldn't quite believe that someone as happy and carefree as Edith had stabbed someone because they had picked on her brother, Elsarb was the nicest part of our kingdom, Clamatosia, it was also hard to believe that any crime could happen there. My village, Leben, was just on the brink of the most dangerous county in the kingdom (Terrick) and I, the most reckless and impulsive person on the planet, possibly, was able to get through my first 15 years alive or so not stabbing anyone. Yes my village burnt down at 16, but the stabbing is a story for another time.

"Alright then, Jean, lets be off!" Connell said after he had left to get our weapons. He had reentered the room with a large sack which could easily be mistaken for a travel pack in which you take clothes, clever.

"Okay Jonathan, lets go."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We ventured out to the cart, "I can't drive. Can you?" Connell asked timidly, even though he seems to have been here the longest out of the 3 younger people, he's obviously got a few flaws- being here since age 14 means he probably didn't take the cart driving test when he was 15 and a year away from leaving school. In fact he probably doesn't have a B.O.D (a citizen liscense) so he can't do a lot of things fully grown citizens can, like buying a house, not that he'd need to since he's lived at the cavern for a while and will probably keep a sturdy position until he's in his 60's."Alright then," I replied.

"In the sack we have for you, 2 packs of throwing knives and few extra daggers, we know you keep that one under your pillow by the way, and I have a dagger and a bow and arrows. We're all set," Connell said as I began to drive the cart. "When we get there the code to get in is Daisy, you just throw it into a sentence and they'll let you in. We'll slip around the back into a tunnel half way through, that's when they'll move, we intercept them, kill them and take the bodies to a nearby dumpster, the streets will be near empty cuz the people are all going to be at the event, you lived there so you'll know how dodgy it is. We have a few allies over there, since it's one of the most crime ridden areas they sometimes come in to keep an eye out and arrest some especially dodgy people."

I just nodded along and adjusted the prehistoric radio next to the wheel in Josselyn's cart which clearly hadn't been used for a while. It occurred to me that I didn't have a full B.O.D either, I had done half the course and got my cart liscense, before I dropped out to join the guard, I'm quite glad I left my village really, because I would've been married along time ago and had the world's worst B.O.D because I would have had to stay in school for an extra year, then my father would've considered me useless, set me up with a minor job and married me off to whoever would accept someone who barely passed the retake year.

In retrospect joining the guard was the best decision I made. Connell continued to inanimately yap throughout the entire journey and I was glad that being a married couple was only our cover- he was good looking, don't get me wrong but I seriously couldn't stand this guy as my real husband. He stopped talking the second we reached the border of Manourton corner, he turned off the radio which had been blaring rock music (At least they all had decent music taste,) .

"I'll drive from here Ju, and I'll start calling you Jean," Connell said in a low whisper.

"Can you even drive? You didn't take your test or have a B.O.D, isn't that, like, almost more illegal than killing people?" I whispered in return.

"Lucas taught me when we first arrived but I'm not that good, didn't want to endanger you on your first task, but I'll drive into here," I raised my eyebrow but I sighed and pulled over. We swapped places and he started up the cart again and shakily drove us into Manourton corner, as soon as we were inside I realised we probably looked the most silent couple in the world, Connell spotted this too.

"Are you alright baby? You're being really quiet," Connell hinted, I moved my had to his knee and relaxed in my seat in the cart, "Yeah, just feel a bit cart sick is all," I answered, luckily acting had been one of my strong suits. Connell pulled into a parking space and hopped down from the high wheel and I did the same on the other side.

He walked round to meet me and held my hand with interlocking fingers, we would probably laugh about it afterwards but lets just say we were a good pretend couple. I felt so attacked when I passed several people I knew before, why I got kicked out was a story I would later have to reveal but lets just say I wasn't a fan of telling it.

We reached a small dirty street corner, and in a strange airy accent, Connell said "Wow, look at that daisy," I smirked and replied, "Oh yes what a beautiful daisy," The only other man in the street laughed.

"Your a tad late, but I suppose I could allow you in, names?" He said. "Jonathan and Jean Evanack," Connell replied in the airy accent. "Ain't yoos 'a bit young to be married lass?" The man asked me. He had a similar accent to Josselyn, which indicated that our collegue had come from here.

"Nah, we get married young anyways, and Imma bit older than' I look," I replied in a similar airy accent but with a slightly northern twist. "Right, Right, get in then," He chortled as he lifted up a fabric flap in a brick wall. We stepped inside and found our seats.