1

It began the day I started that damn job. I had a list of names of people I was both working and living with and my girlfriend, Larkin, was going to drop me off with my bags at the place. Those who worked in my extremely specific department, lived in a secretive little spot near the palace. Wondering how I even got this job, I'm guessing?

You see, I worked myself into a tight spot when I was 16 when a riot ran through my village and nearly burned every house to the ground, I saw this older man and a young lady stuck as I was running away. So my stupid natural chivalry, or whatever, kicked in and I ran to their aid. Turns out the man and woman were from the royal guard and were temporarily staying in my village. And so it began! They went through a large barricade of forms to get me my first job in the guard, I gladly accepted of course, what dumb 16 year old, who was failing school and would probably end up a bar maid otherwise, wouldn't? Exactly, point made.

I then shifted through the ranks slowly and made an appeal to the head of the royal guard after showing an inexplicable ability to kill, (I was guarding at a huge execution event and 3 people tried to run so I threw 3 knives through the air into each one of their backs). It was stupid really, I had a good position on the guard already and I doubt Larkin was impressed by my spur of the moment murder, I hadn't meant to kill them either, even though they would die anyway.

On the journey to my new living space I couldn't help but stare at Larkin. When I had first met her we had both been awkward 17 year olds figuring out our sexualities and trying to keep our feeble starter positions on the guard, I do like boys but I also like girls and at the time I had no idea about the girls part. Anyway, Larkin remained similar to how she had initially looked, a scrawny average height Hispanic girl with mental hair, the only main change was that her hair was dyed blue permanently when she reached 19.

The day was hot and Larkin's white blouse blew against her flat chest in the early morning cart journey, "Larks?" I asked. "Yes, Juno?" She responded but kept her eye on the road, "How are we gonna make this work?" I asked her, it was evident that she was annoyed by my change of position which meant that we would have to move away from one another.

"Make what work?" She replied irritably, "Don't be like that Larks, I mean us, How'er we gonna make us work?" I exclaimed in a burst of emotion that barely happens in my person.

"I don't know, you ask me." She sighed and shook her head. "How could you do this to us Ju!? We could've gotten married! Or just simply grown old together! What was wrong with the position you had?!"

I couldn't look at her, "I didn't mean for it to happen... I just-"

"It's fine. We'll still be friends, right?" She snapped and then recoiled.

I exhaled and gripped the list of names in my hands, "Yeah, of course, I love you Larkin, whatever we end up being,"

She simpered and pulled into the drive way of the place I will be living...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just sat in that cart for a few minutes, staring at the list of names, trying to memorise: Lucas McLoughty, Edith Cabrera, Connell Brorn, Josselyn Rowely, Adam Carrow...

"Ju? You gotta get out sweetie," Larkin said, rubbing my shoulder, she had my bags in her hands ready to give them to me so that I can go into my new life.

I took them off her and walked towards the front door, before I could turn around to say goodbye Larkin wheeled straight off. That was the last I saw of my girlfriend of 3 years... I shook off the dreaded feeling at the time though, I thought I would see her again, obviously I was wrong but in that moment I had more important things to worry about.

I knocked on the door. A boy of about my height and age opened it, he had lightish brown hair and a plucky grin, "Ah, you must be the amazing Juno Zelder that Josselyn has been preaching about for the past week or so," He laughed, and so did I "Yup that's me!" I laughed back.

"I'm Connell, Connell Brorn I should be on your list, but if not, yeah!" He said taking one of my bags off me, I liked this guy, he seemed like a gentleman, or at least a good friend, I did not expect someone like this to be an assassin. "So let's go through ages. Lucas and I are 22, Josselyn is this cracking woman in her late 50's, she refuses to retire which is fine since she's still fit as a fiddle, Edith is only 17 but is probably the most badass of all, Adam is Josselyn's 45 year old cousin, we all listen to Josselyn, she's kinda the mother hen around here, best not disobey her... you'll be sharing a room with Edith, if you don't mind, we've been looking for another female assassin for a while now to balance it out..."

God. This guy did not shut up! We bustled around the house up the stairs, and around the middle floor, there was a sort of top floor, Lucas and Connell shared the loft, above the floor on which me, Edith, Josselyn and Adam slept. Josselyn and Adam had their own rooms but I guessed that was a perk of being there for such a long time.

We walked in on an innocent looking girl, no more than 2 inches shorter than me though, so she was tall at the very least. Her combat boots did not match the rest of her outfit or her side of the room... Her hair was a black cherry colour and dropped to her waist, she was pale and had big brown eyes which reminded me of Larkin, she wore a white off the shoulder jumper with a rainbow across it, a rainbow plaid skirt and black leggings. Her side of the room was entirely pink and had several pieces of shear lilac purple fabric draped across the ceiling and above her bed, which had a pastel patchwork spread on it. She and her room looked like sunshine but that was obviously not the case since she lived here.

In an even more bizarre case, proper punk rock and metal music like I listen to was blaring from her baby pink radio, "Edith, this is Juno, your awesome new roommate and collegue!" Connell announced to the slightly bewildered girl, I had to write a letter on what I like to Josselyn who was clearly in charge of everything at the cavern (that was the house's name), and it was clear that Edith had enjoyed decorating for me.

"What's up, Edith? Nice to meet you!" I said stepping towards her to shake her hand, she took it and giggled as she pulled me into a bear hug. "I can already tell you'll be a great friend Ju, can I call you Ju? Never mind I will anyway," Edith gushed, I couldn't understand how these people could possibly kill people for a living and be content and bright human beings like this, I was sure that the day I first formally killed someone it would marre my conscience for all eternity.

"I hope you like your side of the room, I decorated it myself based off of that letter you sent to Josselyn," Edith said as I walked forward with my bags to admire my side of the room whilst Connell slipped out saying he'd leave us to it.

It was like a beautiful emo-hippy tavern, the bed framework was attatched to the desk and chest of drawer, all painted sleek black, the wardrobe lay parallel to the headboard of the bed which it had a big white canope draped on the high points of the bedframe and fairylights and dark lanterns twined throughout. The navy wall was covered in posters of my favourite bands especially on my bed's wall, which when I went inside felt like a secret cave, Several copperish coloured bookshelves lined the walls, and the chair at the desk matched the dark and coppery theme by being soft and dark padded with copper framing, I loved it.

I set my 3 bags down on the patchwork burgundy, black and navy bedspread and began to unpack with Edith appearing at my side to help, she organised my drawers and I got out all of my CD's and books along with my disc player which I put on my desk. I could already tell I was going to like it here, if not the job then at least the room...