A Bad Idea

"You got a problem with that, Sam?" Diego asks, crossing his arms. "Can't take orders from a woman?"

"Uh, no no. I'm completely ok with that! I'm not some sexist or something." I put my hands up in surrender. "At least I don't think I am. I just thought that... well I mean they can force their women into marriage, but they take travelers through the jungle? That's a weird gender reversal."

"This is a bit different."

"Well how do you mean?"

"This woman who is helping you is no ordinary woman."

"Is she like the priestess or something?" I asked.

Diego sighed. "It's the chiefs daughter. The one who I was telling you about earlier."

"What!?" I gasped. "This is a bad idea!"

"What?"

"She is the only thing holding these people together. If she's away won't that create a lot of tension? And if she gets hurt-"

"You will make sure that doesn't happen." Diego said calmly. "You will have her back, just like you had mine, remember? Teamwork is key."

"Are you sure she knows what she is doing?"

Diego nodded as he went inside. "Her father and the chief now, spoke highly of her. She was much more clever than her brother."

Diego was talking to me from his bedroom, while I listened from mine. There was a bath in each room, like the chief said. We both undressed and washed off. The cool water felt great against my grimy skin. The smoke from the fire and the scorch of sun cooked my skin. I was tanner, but not by much. I dried myself off and put on a fresh pair of clothes (the natives must have washed my other outfit because it was laying on my bed).

Then I heard a knock. Diego walked in my room... or rather my side of the hut, which was separate by a wall.

"Are you alright, kid?" He asked.

I sighed. "I know what I have to do. And I'll do it."

Diego smiled. "Alrighty! You will meet her tomorrow."

"Why couldn't I meet her today?"

Diego shuffled his feet. "She was in the Maleefoo village today, with her fiancee. They go from tribe to tribe, to make peace. Her fiance will escort her here and wish her well..."

"He's gonna hate me." I shrugged.

"Probably. But they're getting alot for this. It would be idiocracy to refuse any deal made by your father."

I nodded and yawned. "Need sleep."

"Goodnight Sam." Diego chuckled as he walked out of the room.