Chapter Twenty-Eight: Jealousy

The forests of Berk were always cold and misty during the early mornings. Fog entangled itself among the fortress-like trees, skirting across the ferns on the ground which were coated in jewel-like dewdrops. The air was particularly frigid, even more so than the usual which meant that the holiday seasons were fast approaching.

A young man strolled through the thickets of the woods, hands stuffed in his pockets to keep warm as he concentrated on his thoughts.

But it kept going back to her. He kept thinking about that time they were both at the cove, and he was holding her hands. He remembered how the crook of her neck smelled like salt from the seas, and the ocean breeze. He thought of the time they sang and dance together. And he remembered those times he was with her, together at their beach when he was still a dragon. She said she would always be there with him and now, it left him feeling so jittery...

He felt his face heat up.

'And there was that one time--'

His thoughts were cut off when he ran straight into a low hanging branch, which poked him in the eye.

"OW!" he cursed loudly.

He removed his palm as his eye began to water.

Toothless let out an distressed noise before glaring up at the sky.

"Oh, the gods hate me," he muttered, kicking the ground lamely as he continued his careless stride.

If he was being honest with himself, he didn't really know why he was walking around the forest. He'd woken up extremely early with the sudden inkling of visiting Berk's woodlands, so he skipped out two doors and ended up in the frigid draught.

His annoyance at being so cold, and then being jabbed in the eye, led him to think of last night's incidents.

He'd never seen her so radiant. It wasn't even her new hairstyle that made her stand out. It was the confidence she wore so proudly on her smile, and the way she stood, with her head high and proud. 

But then Eret just had to come along and ruin it.

Toothless wondered if he just exaggerated the pain in his hand, just to gain her sympathy.

Had he really hurt him that much, or was it just his jealousy getting the better of him?

He was so confused.

There were so many emotions running through his head, and it felt like they were messing with his chest. Things had never been this complicated when he was a dragon. He'd never felt his heart beat with more than one emotion, like there was something tugging inside him.

He felt so ecstatic at times, then like something was crushing him, and then so filled with joy.

... and then there were times that left him feeling so indescribably happy, like nothing he'd ever felt before. It was being able to close his eyes, and think of someone in the most beautiful way possible, leaving him so fluttery and stuck in a high. It was knowing that he would always have her back, and she would have his.

But if he was so sure of her, why was he so angry when someone else was with her?

Deep down, he already had an answer.

He was scared.

But he didn't want to acknowledge it, so he dealt with it the most petty way possible.

"Stupid Eret with his stupid face and his stupid little--"

He made wild hand gestures, like he was ready to fight something, even though he was surrounded by nothing but trees and shrubs.