CHAPTER 38: That Gut Feeling

Start from the beginning

Hurt and disappointment conveyed Josh's features. A glimmer shone over his eyes. His eyes were still green, but they were no longer the bright ones five minutes ago. He said in a broken tone, "You don't believe me?" He tried explaining it further to Kevin with a gentle wave of his hand. "It was a woman about this tall." Gale was shorter than Josh but taller than Kevin. "A young black woman with chocolate-colored curls. Come on. You gotta remember that." He said, desperately, with a sad chuckle, "You gotta remember something about her."

"Sir," Officer Steve kindly said. He paused for a few minutes to get the two best friends' attention. Then he sighed and said, "There is no Gale Robinson in our forces."

"SHE'S REAL!" Josh snapped loud enough to make everyone in room jump. "SHE'S REAL AND I'LL PROVE IT." He grabbed his phone and dialed a number he registered as simply 'Gale.'

Before the phone could ring, the PA system played that baby announcement music again. Kevin clutched on to the iron poles and whimpered with closed eyes, "Oh, please, please, please, no."

The loud tantrum Josh just demonstrated, the angry looks he gave Kevin, the confusion that happened in front of him, the 'there's no right answers' attitude that Kevin witnessed in the room, and now the music. All of that contributed to the growing anxiety Kevin felt taking over his weak body. All reminded him of... him, the dangerous man with the black leather jacket.

Kevin bowed down, hugging himself, and screamed, "Josh!" He was terrified and suffering pain in his stomach. A pain he knew too well when he was captive all these days with Duke.

Josh snapped his head toward Kevin. He dropped his phone on the chair and hurried to wrap his arm around Kevin. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"He's coming. He's coming," Kevin chocked on his tears as a severe panic attack took over his senses. "I know he is. He's not gonna leave me alone."

"Nobody's gonna hurt you here. Kevin, listen to me. No one's gonna come for you."

Even with Josh's assuring words, Kevin didn't feel safer and kept rocking and panicking.

Josh didn't know what to do except call the nurse to handle this hysteric behavior. So, he picked the pillow speaker and pushed the red nurse button. The light on the button didn't turn on.

"It's not working," Josh said to the officer while waving the pillow speaker up in the air.

The officer rushed out while saying, "You stay with him. I'll go ask for help."

2 hours later:

Kevin was sitting on the bed, bowing his head shamefully as he stared at his clasped hands on his stomach. Tears rested inside his eyes, damping his lower eyelashes. He stayed like that, silent, but calm. The nurses couldn't make him relax down without a tranquilizer.

The room was quiet; almost too quiet.

A hand laid lightly on Kevin's shoulder, careful not to startle him, as a low, soothing voice called him, "Kevin?"

Kevin slightly turned his head to the right and his twinkling, icy blue eyes met a darker shade of green eyes.

"Are you OK now?" asked Josh with a frown that showed gentle concern.

Kevin pushed Josh's hand off and said while turning away, "Don't look at me like that." He pouted in embarrassment and swept his fingers over his eyes to get rid of the tears.

"OK," Josh backed his hand up away, slightly offended by the rejection of his nice gesture. "I'm sorry," he said and he meant it. He remembered how Kevin hated it when people pitied him. Josh lowered his gaze and hesitatingly asked, "Can you at least tell me what just happened?"