13. perfect (ja)

he's perfect.

i look at jack as he pours a plastic bottle of pepsi into a metal cup, and is tapped on the shoulder by his bandmate, zach.

he looks so good, even if he's just pouring pepsi.

we were at a party that night, hosted by zach, and i was more than happy to be there.

a couple minutes later, jack calls me over, with a serious look on his face. i try to act positive, but i can tell something's up. i get down from the kitchen counter, and playfully skip over to his side.

"what's up, love?" i say, playing with a strand of his curly hair.

for the record, i've never been one to be that mushy gushy person in a relationship. i've never been a hopeless romantic, i don't fall in love at first sight, and i'm a stiff board to break when it comes to getting to know me.

but around jack, i'm silly putty.

we clicked immediately, after we met at the skatepark a few blocks away from my friend elle's house. elle's dating zach, so even if i hadn't met jack when i went skateboarding that one fateful day, i probably would have met him anyway eventually.

i reminisced for a good minute until my daydreams were broken by five words that changed the whole course of my thoughts.

"elle and zach broke up."

as soon as those words left jack's mouth, i snapped out of whatever light i saw that night in, and saw the reality in front of me.

elle, who i had greeted at the beginning of the party briefly, was now curled up in the corner of the kitchen, sitting on a small puddle of either water or her own tears.

elle had been my closest friend since the start of high school, but frankly, zach deserved better. she never made time for him and was always flirting with other guys, that was the truth. i saw this coming from a mile away, although i did my best to ignore it.

zach was now in the living room, playing some video game with a skinny blonde boy i recognized from why don't we.

their romance was toxic, and she killed it.

my heart went out to both of them, and i know i had to talk to both of them, but zach...he deserved better.

but another thought popped into my head; a curious worry i didn't want to think about.

what if this was the fate of my own relationship...with jack....

"y/n."

i looked at jack, as his hand cupped my face.

"you're the best thing that ever happened to me. i promise this will never happen to us, at least not like this, ever. i love you so much, god, if you only knew..." he said, before i interrupted him with a kiss.

i'd kissed him hundreds of times, but this was different. this kiss meant something. it was the cement holding tonight together, holding us together.

it was perfect, just like him.

we pulled away, as i ran my fingers though his hair. his smile was so pure, i never wanted to see it fade.

"i'll be back, i gotta talk to elle and make sure she's alright," i say, parting from him.

he gazes at me in a dreamy sense, and my heart swells.

i love him.

hi guys! i've been taking a tiny break to enjoy the season w my family, but i'm back!! new content coming soon hehe xx