"Don Roberto! It's so good to see you here!" Dolores cried, allowing him to kiss her hand.

"Follow me, please. The Governor sent a coach for you."

The men traded puzzled looks when Dolores didn't let go of Marina, clearly intending to take her along.

"This child was taken from Maracaibo like me, but her parents died and there was no one to pay her ransom. I convinced the French governor to leave her with me. After all, I need a maid."

Marina swallowed a smile, hearing Dolores' words, overflowing authority. The men had no choice but agree.

The Governor was busy, and let his wife welcome the hostages. The woman overwhelmed them with attentions and questions, to which Dolores replied with the expectable answers, in an expected outraged tone.

Only for dinner did they meet with the Governor, who apologized for his absence and assured he'd already arranged transportation for Dolores and Marina.

"You'll be leaving for San Juan in three days, Doña Dolores," he said, pleased at his own efficiency. "And needless to say you're welcome to stay with us until then."

"San Juan?" Dolores repeated angrily, surprising everybody around the table. "I'd rather die, sir! I'm not going back to a man who wished me a worse fate than being killed by pirates! Only in order to rob me of the fortune my dowry brought him!"

The Governor needed a minute to digest her reply.

"Are you staying in Santo Domingo, then?"

"I'm going back to Seville, from where I should've never left. But there's something I need to do before that. In Veracruz."

Marina would've given anything to let out the laughter gurgling in her throat at the baffled faces around Dolores.

"Veracruz," the Governor repeated to make sure he'd heard it right, his face adding, 'That's in the opposite direction to Spain.'

Dolores nodded.

"May I ask what would take you there?"

"Yes, my good sir. But it wouldn't be proper of me to explain it publicly."

After dinner, instead of joining his guests for a cigar and a drink, the Governor invited Dolores to his study. With Marina, of course, because it wouldn't be proper to be the two of them alone.

Marina sat down on a stool near the door, and remained quiet and still while Dolores displayed all her outrage to tell the Governor the accusation against her just before the pirate attack on Maracaibo. He explained who had accused her, and the man's attempt to join the pirates. And how everybody in Maracaibo had finally understood the accusation was false.

"You must know my husband has a thing for young girls," she said, lowering her voice. So he instructed this man to discredit me, in order to get rid of me. It everything went as planned, I'd be jailed and executed for treason. Else, he at least planned to damage my honor and reputation beyond repair, so he could repudiate me."

"That's a serious accusation, my dear lady."

"I'd suggest that you write to Maracaibo Governor. He'll vouch for every word I've said to you."

"And why Veracruz?"

"My husband's thug didn't hesitate to accuse a young captain of being in league with me. My name's been cleared and my reputation restored. But this young man was arrested and taken from Maracaibo before that happened. He's an unimpeachable, well-known officer, and his only blame was talking to me when I thanked him for capturing the Pearl of the Caribbean."

"Who are you talking about, milady?"

"Captain Castillano. He arrived in Maracaibo with one of the Windward Fleet's frigates, and I reckon he left on that same frigate, under arrest. As far as I know, the Fleet's base is Veracruz. So before leaving the Caribbean, I want to go there and clean his name too. It's the least I can do for him. And I must do it myself, since it's plain to see I can't count on the one who swore to God to respect me and protect me."

"If you so want me, I can write to the Great Admiral to inform him of what you've told me. I've met the Lion, and I agree that accusing him of treason makes no sense."

"Thank you, my good friend. But any ship carrying your letter to Veracruz can take me there as well. And they can't bury me in a desk drawer and forget I'm there. However, your letter would open more doors and more rapidly."

The Governor chuckled softly. "Worry not, dear Dolores. I'll arrange your transport to Veracruz first thing tomorrow. And you'll have my letter to the Admiralty."

Two days later, Dolores and Marina left Santo Domingo on a merchantman on route to Veracruz. And they were just in time. For leaving the harbor, their ship sailed by the Trinidad, arriving to port.

Santo Domingo Governor and his wife, aware of Dolores' status, were lavishly generous with her and her shy maid. Not only did they pay for their trip. They also gave Dolores a chest full of quality clothing and a purse full of gold coins.

Sailing across the Caribbean Sea and around the Yucatan Peninsula took them ten days. Marina languished, strolling up and down the weather deck in her dress, on that over-loaded patache that seemed slower than a snail. Luckily, Dolores was an excellent companion and helped her keep her anxiety at bay.