23-Escapes the City of M.I.

Jenn ran down the details and from a technical standpoint the plan was pretty solid. So long as Ripps and Charles were able to supply the equipment, it could go like clockwork. While Brand would never admit it to Petras, Jenn's lack of field experience did concern him. He reminded himself of the fingernails. If that was so far off, perhaps her judgment couldn't be trusted. She had a particular expertise on this mission that was critical to its success. The execution of it would also separate them for an unknown amount of time. That was the last piece of the puzzle. If she didn't emerge from the hot zone he would have to walk away and have no choice about it.

He was thinking about all this as they sat in the car waiting for Petras. He had gone to the office to tell Irma he was extending his stay.

"You don't trust me," Jenn said.

"Sure I do. It's a good plan."

"No, you don't. And neither does Petras. It's the fingernail thing, isn't it?"

Brand didn't answer.

"There was no way for me to know there's a salon in the back of this place. They don't have even one sign to advertise it. Don't you find that strange?"

Brand did not. "This is a small town in a remote area, Jenn. Everyone within a ten- mile radius probably knows by word of mouth. It's one of the only gas stations for miles."

Jenn nodded, looking out the window.

"Look, Jenn, don't obsess about one small mistake. We have to look at the larger picture."

She snapped her head around. "When you climb, one small misstep, the slightest miscalculation, can mean hours lost, can be fatal."

"Jenn, if you're not confident about this, we can find another way."

"No. I know my skills. This is the only way. That's not what bothering me."

It was what was bothering him, but he didn't say so.

"What is it, then?"

"I still say there is something not right about these two, and this place, but I can't put my finger on it."

"Even if that is true, we have to move forward. Petras can handle them."

The old wooden screen door slammed behind Petras as he walked down the steps towards the car.

"The devil's in the details," Jenn said softly.

It was just what Petras had said to him earlier.

Petras opened the car door and settled in to the back seat. "If you two don't mind, I'm going to get some sleep."

"Me, too." Jenn turned toward the passenger side door, folding her legs up next to her on the seat.

Brand pulled onto the road and glanced into the rear view. The old wooden building shrank into the distance.

"We never fixed that garage door," Brand said.

"The sisters already took care of it," Petras answered.

....Irma let the curtain drop and nodded to her sister. Anna picked up the phone and dialed it.

"They've just left," she said. She listened for a moment and then placed the handset back onto its cradle.

"What's the move?" Irma asked.

"We wait," Anna said.