8- Escapes NJ

Kate scrambled onto the top of the flipped over raft. She turned and pulled Leah up. Petras got on next and then Brand. They could see it. A shadow on the water that grew rapidly larger, a boat approaching in the pre-dawn light. It was a Cigarette style boat, built for speed and not equipped for holding more than a couple of passengers. It roared past them and then turned. It came in close and cut its engine.

The person in the driver's seat, only a silhouette against the brightening sky, stood and raised his arm above his head. There was the distinct shape of a rifle strapped over his shoulder and he held a gun in his hand. The man fired off several rounds into the air. Next he raised a bullhorn and over it came one word, "Leah."

"I'm here. I'm here," she shouted back into the stiff breeze although she must have known there was no way she could be heard. She waved her arms.

Suddenly, approaching from the horizon behind the Cigarette, there was a welcome sight. It was a helicopter flying low over the water. The speedboat driver saw it, too. He revved the boats engine, came about and headed back out toward sea. The raft rocked from the wake. The helicopter flew past, following the Cigarette for a bit before turning back. It hovered at a safe distance from their raft so as to not capsize it.

The downdraft from the rotor was incredible and churned the water below it. They were pelted with spray. It had been a long time since Brand had been on this side of a helicopter rescue mission. He was himself an experienced pilot and had thousands of hours of flight time in both planes and helicopters under a variety of conditions. He knew the Coasties were probably itching to pursue the speedboat but victims in the water were always given priority. Since it had arrived so quickly and from the direction of the sea, the speedboat and its occupant were no doubt at least partly responsible for their current predicament. Brand was convinced that there was a larger boat in the vicinity and that it was the source of the orb that had disabled and blown to bits Kate's boat. That kind of operation was not a one-man show.

The Coast Guard had not arrived from the same direction as the speedboat but had also come in from the sea. Brand figured they must have been on a mission or training, and may even be low on fuel. They were undoubtedly responding to Kate's EPIRB.

The rescue swimmer appeared at the helicopter's doors, sat down at the edge and jumped into the ocean. They would each have to get off the raft in turn to be hoisted.

Brand only saw Leah in a blur as she leapt from the raft into the water. It so startled Kate that she screamed in fright.

Leah took great long strokes and swam directly to the swimmer, who probably had not been expecting anyone to leave the raft until he had gotten to it to access the situation.

"I told you she was crafty, Brand," Petras said.

"Crafty?" Kate said, "She's nuts."

Brand shook his head, "No, not nuts. She wanted to get picked up first."

"Why?" Kate asked.

"You will see," Petras answered.

Petras raised his eyebrows and grimaced and Brand shrugged. At least they would no longer be stranded at sea.

The swimmer looped the harness around Leah and she was pulled slowly up. He then gave thumbs-up to the helicopter and swam toward the raft.

"Is anyone injured?" he asked.

"No," Brand answered, "We're fine."

"The young lady seemed pretty shaken up," he said, "I guess she panicked?"

"We think so," Brand answered even though he was sure her actions were entirely deliberate.

"Who's next?"

"Ladies first," said Petras.

With that, Kate slid into the water. As they approached the rough water she turned on her back and the swimmer dragged her the last few yards to the harness.

"They will have lots of questions," Petras said.

"Don't we all?" Brand answered.

"Boat blown up; approached by an unmarked vessel with an armed occupant that speeds away. This will not be easy."

"They can ask as many questions as they like. It's not like we have to answer. It's not like we have the answers."

"True. Who do you think was on the Cigarette?"

"Probably not her brother, Petras."

"Hmm, probably not. So she is somehow still being tracked."

"Someone is," Brand said.

"Do you think it could be Kate?" Petras asked.

"It's possible, if they somehow intercepted your initial contact with her. You've used her before, maybe someone has gotten wise to that."

The raft bobbed in the water. The swimmer was coming back.

"It's very unlikely," Petras said.

"Could it be one of us, Petras?"

"I don't see how."

"The phones, our guns – they were all scrubbed?"

"How can you even question that?"

"I'm not trying to insult you, Petras."

"Really? What a question."

"Don't be so sensitive. It's a legitimate question."

"Sure, legitimate. If you were asking someone other than me."

"Come on, Petras."

The swimmer put his hand onto the raft.

"I'm just going to rest a moment."

"Good, rest. Then I am next," said Petras.

"Okay, man. You've got it. You'll be okay?" the swimmer asked Brand.

"Absolutely," Brand said.

"Are you rested?" Petras asked, "This raft has gotten too small for me."

"Petras," Brand said.

Petras plopped into the water and began to swim away. The swimmer looked from him to Brand.

"You gotta love feisty old folks," they young man said.

"Let's hope he didn't hear you say that," Brand laughed. Petras didn't look it, but he was agile and as strong as the proverbial ox.

"See you in a bit," he said and began to swim after Petras.

When Brand finally was hoisted, he was met by a gun in his face and immediately had his hands zip-tied behind him.