Chapter 22: Summer Begins

Because your author has no more ideas for the school year of Thomas and Alex, the end of the school year had fallen upon the students of Kings College.

   It was Thomas' and Alex's last class of the year, and since Mr. Adams and Mr. Washington didn't have anything planned for the class, Alex and Thomas were left to think about the year that had passed them by. Since they were in seperate rooms, they couldn't share any memories about the year verbally, but that was okay.

   The year had really gone by quickly, Alex and Thomas thought. The days where the two hated each other felt like they had just occurred a day before the present one. It was insane to think that summer was only about a half hour away.

   Thomas couldn't help but feel a sting of anxiety. He hadn't told Alex that he would be visiting France for the summer, so they couldn't meet up at all. Unless, of course, Alex came with him. But Thomas wasn't sure his family would approve of that. Thomas stole an anxious glance at the clock, the time where Thomas had to break the news to Alex ticking nearer and nearer by the second.

   Meanwhile, Alex was feeling a mix of emotions. He was a bit bummed that school would be ending for the year, but he was also excited that he would get to spend all summer with his Tommy.

   This'll be great! Alex thought, looking at the clock. I'll get to spend so much time with Thomas! But I also don't want to stop learning...

   Alex began doodling in his notebook. Alex normally wasn't one to doodle, but it was a hobby he had recently taken up. He studied the portrait of Thomas he had made and smiled to himself. It looked great! Alex nodded to himself and told himself that he would give it to Thomas later.

   Thomas began writing in his notebook. He wasn't one to write, but, like Alex, he had recently taken up the hobby. He was writing a story about two guys that had a burning love for each other, but because of society's view on gay people, they had to act like they were just friends. Even after confessing to each other. And that was hard for them. The story told the reader of the struggles of the...couple? If that's what you call them?

   Alex and Thomas were still indulging in their hobbies when the bell rang, signaling the start of summer.

   Thomas sighed, tucking his pencil away. He stayed where he sat, waiting for the stampede of students to make their way into the hall so that he could leave without a broken leg or something.

   Unlike Thomas, Alex sprung up as soon as the bell rang. He gathered up his stuff and dashed into the hallway, searching for Thomas.

   Once the stampede had cleared, Thomas gathered his stuff and walked into the semi-crowded hallway. He looked around for Alex, and, after a bit of searching, he found him.

   Alex found Thomas the same time Thomas did Alex. Alex's brown eyes lit up, and he dashed over to Thomas, immediately wrapping his arms around Thomas' waist in a loving embrace. "It's here, Tommy!" Alex squealed. "Summer is here!"

   Thomas smiled at the little bundle of happiness hugging him. He hugged Alex back, rubbing his back. "I know. Can you believe it?"

   Alex shook his head, pulling apart from the hug. "No! It feels like the year went by so fast! We're gonna be sophomores soon!"

   Thomas nodded. He also couldn't believe how fast the year seemed to go by. He exhaled, finally mentally ready to tell Alex of his vacation to France.

   "Hey...Alex?" Thomas said quietly, looking at Alex's excited figure sadly.

   "Yeah?" Alex smiled, not picking up on Thomas' sad tone.

   "Um...I'm...I'm gonna be in France over the summer...so...we won't get to see each other over the summer at all..."

   Alex's face fell as tears pricked the corners of his eyes. "W-wha--? Why didn't you tell me this before..?"

   "I didn't wanna disappoint you!" Thomas answered weakly. As soon as he said that, though, he realized how stupid that sounded. He was only disappointing Alex more by waiting until the last minute. Alex had probably already planned their whole summer out, and Thomas pretty much stomped on those plans.

   "And you think waiting until the last minute would disappoint me less?!" Alex hissed, sighing.

   "I mean...I could ask my family if you could go with us!" Thomas said. "That way, we'd see more of each other than we'd probably want to!"

   Alex thought about that for a minute. "Going to France seems fun. I also know how to speak French..." His face lit up. "Sure! Ask your family if I can go!"

   Thomas nodded and dialed his dad's number; he was probably gonna be the hardest to sway on the matter.

   His dad picked up on the second ring. "Hello?" he asked. Like every person does when they answer their ringing phone.

   "Hey, dad," Thomas said nervously. He really hoped that Alex would be able to go to France with him. "Um...would it...would it be okay if I brought my boyfriend, Alexander, to France with us..?"

   Thomas heard his dad sigh. "Thomas, what did I tell you about having boyfriends? You need to fix yourself, son."

   Thomas rolled his eyes. "I can't help my sexuality, Dad," he said with an agitated sigh. "So can he go with us?"

   "No," his dad answered immediately, making Thomas' heart drop to his feet.

   "Why not?" Thomas asked, and Alex frowned, gathering that by the words "why not," he wouldn't be allowed to go.

   "This is a family vacation, son," Thomas' dad answered.

   Thomas was about to respond, when he heard his mom start talking to his dad. "Is that Thomas?" she asked. "What does he want?"

   "He wants to bring his boyfriend on our family vacation," Thomas' dad answered.

   Thomas was silent through their conversation, hoping that his mom would sway his dad to let Alex go on the trip.

   "Are you gonna let him?" asked his mom.

   "No!" his dad answered. "As I said, this a family vacation!"

   Thomas' mom sighed. "Honey, I think that bringing his boyfriend will make Thomas hate you less."

   Thomas snickered at that part.

   "And besides," his mom continued, "he'll be so preoccupied by his boyfriend that you'll hardly even notice he's there. Plus, we have an extra ticket."

   There was silence, then Thomas' dad sighed. "Fine," he said, to Thomas this time. "Tell your boyfriend to pack his bags and that we're living in three days."

   Thomas' heart gave a happy jolt. "Oh, Dad! Thank you!"

   His dad grumbled in response, then hung up.

   Thomas turned to Alex happily, who looked a bit hopeful after hearing Thomas' "thank you."

   "Well, my dear," Thomas said with a wide smile, "pack your bags! We're leaving for France in three days!"

   Alex squealed, hugging Thomas tightly. "Yay! I love you, Tommy!"

   "I love you too," Thomas smiled, knowing that him and Alex would soon be spending their summer in the most beautiful country in the world.