Chapter 13: Stay Alive

With a laugh, Thomas put down his empty cup. He had consumed all his liquids and was ready to leave. "You ready, Alex?"

Alex nodded, also done with his beverage. "Yep. Let's go."

The two men got up, pleased with their date's outcome. They had talked about life, watched a few meme compilations, and enjoyed some drinks. Life was good for them.

They walked over to the trashcan that sat at the back of the coffee shop, throwing away the cups. "So, Alex," Thomas began, but was cut off by someone yelling.

"Freeze!"

It was a man's voice, and it sounded threatening.

The couple's bodies tensed, and they turned to the front door, where a guy in a black mask was standing. He was clutching a gun, and he was pointing it at every human that was in the coffee shop.

Thomas gasped, a bunch of flashbacks coming back...

~Flashback~

Thomas was eating at an Applebees with his friend John. They were having a good old time, talking about guys they thought were hot. But looking back on it, none of the guys were as attractive as Alex.

The conversation shifted to ladies, and the two were telling each other how beautiful the Schuyler sisters were. (Thomas and John were both bisexual.)

As soon as they got to Peggy, there was the sound of someone opening the door and the click of a gun being loaded.

The two young men looked at the robber at the door and had no idea how to react and started screaming, their lives flashing before their very eyes.

The robber pointed his gun at John. "Shut your mouth or I'll shoot."

Thomas' heart gave a lurch. He couldn't stand the thought of losing his best friend.

But John wouldn't shut up. He kept yelling threats at the robber, saying that he was gonna call the cops.

Thomas was frantically trying to get John to stop talking, shaking him. "Come on, man...Be quiet...Come on..," he whispered, nervous that the robber was gonna shoot.

The robber looked annoyed, but didn't shoot. He turned to the cash register and demanded all of the money inside it.

Right as the cashier was about to give him the money, John pulled out his phone and started dialing 911.

Thomas was panicking. Dialing those three numbers could've put John in the hospital.

And they did.

The robber saw this and wheeled around to face John. "Oh, no you don't."

He pulled the trigger, and the bullet hit John right in the chest.

"No!" Thomas screamed.

John's face went completely white as he fell back against the booth, cold sweat dripling down his face. "Ah...Thomas...ambulance..," he kept mumbling.

Thomas was frantically trying to figure out what to do. If he called 911, the bullet would be in his chest also. But if he didn't, his friend would die.

In sheer panic, Thomas grabbed a handful of nalkins and began pressing them down on John's wound.

The napkins were soaked with blood almost immediately.

Thomas noticed this and grabbed more napkins, pushing harder. "It's okay...you're gonna be all right..," he said, his voice weak from fear.

The robber smirked as the cashier handed hin the money. "Thanks, lady," he said smugly. "You're one of the only smart ones around here."